Help!!! Sulcata swallowed earring

rossithetort

Location (City and/or State)
California
Hello so I found out my sulcata swallowed some earrings and a coin.

Vet suggested we try to get them through her system. Worst case she gets surgery to remove them but im torn on what to do

I’ve read cases where after surgery the tort does not make it. Mine tortoise is very active, eats and poops regularly. Moves around a lot. So not sure what to do. Has anyones tortoise swallowed foreign objects and it passes through without long term harm to the tort?

E1179240-2238-4832-B42C-8EE08D26FB36.png

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Was he roaming loose on the floor? If yes, have you now learned your lesson?

Hydration, hydration, hydration!!! And lots of wet food plus fibrous food. Hopefully all will pass without intervention.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Get some aloe vera pads & spineless cactus pads, maybe even a head or two of romaine lettuce… lots of bulk fiber & soakings daily ‘til you find what your Sully found. Interesting…both earrings & posts accounted for.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello so I found out my sulcata swallowed some earrings and a coin.

Vet suggested we try to get them through her system. Worst case she gets surgery to remove them but im torn on what to do

I’ve read cases where after surgery the tort does not make it. Mine tortoise is very active, eats and poops regularly. Moves around a lot. So not sure what to do. Has anyones tortoise swallowed foreign objects and it passes through without long term harm to the tort?
What species is your tortoise? How did it gain access to those items?

Are you sure that is a coin? I ask because if it is a little battery, those are toxic.

I agree with Yvonne and Mark, lots of food, soaking and exercise will help move things along in the GI tract. If you soak the tortoise in a bath tub with warm water, you will be able to continually drain and refresh to keep the water warm, and slick bath tubs make tortoises want to march and scramble to get out. We call this the tortoise treadmill. Much like a horse, tortoises require locomotion to keep food moving through the GI tract.

Opuntia pads are very slimy and if you can get your tortoise to eat them, they act as an intestinal lubricant.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Do you know how he got them and for how long they have been there?
Reasons like this is why we tell everyone that wants to let their tort roam the house not too!
Check every poop and follow the suggestions give. Surgery should be last resort. Also get him a proper enclosure that keeps him safe.