Can I mix tortoises?

Status
Not open for further replies.

turtletania

5 Year Member
I have a yearling sulcata, and have just been given the opportunity to get a cherry head and leopard. Am keen, but was just wondering if I can put any of them together? Or do all three have to be kept separate?

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
Keep them separate. The redfoot has radically different husbandry requirements and coming from a different continent different 'bugs'. I also don't think mixing a leopard with a sulcata is good as the husbandry is a little different too but I'll let the sulcata and leopard keepers go into that further.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
You can and many folks have done so with no problems it appears, however the question is more SHOULD you. To that I myself think the answer is no.

First off it sounds like you have recently gotten the sulcata, is that correct? So has it even finished it's quarantine time with you? Then in come these two new ones, which should be quarantined from the sulcata.

I could see the Leopard and sulcata not having major issues with diet/housing/light/heat, but the Cherry is not going to be as well off. It will be much harder to give it for instance the high humidity it needs, more shaded enclosure, or the diet (fruit/protein part of it) with the other two.

Are they currently all the same size? Often in a group, one animal will be the one more bullied(physically or mentally) . The smallest often get that pleasure, but sometimes it's decided by a more meeker personality or species personality. Once one or more become sexually mature that could really add new problems too much like the regular bullying ones.

I am guessing they are all captive bred, which should lower the disease problems a bit, but still there will be some differences in what each may be able to handle. Plus each animal brings into any given mix, the possibility of a piece of all the animals it has lived with in the past in the way of diseases, parasites, ect..,.

Can you only have one enclosure? Or is it more you don't want to make more? If everything allowed them to be compatible, do you have an enclosure large enough to give them all room? That might even be the most basic question you should be asking yourself.

Also keep in mind even when trying to add new tortoise(s) to a current group (even of the same kind), you sometimes come across ones that won't get along. You always need a backup plan and the knowledge you may need to either rehome or add an additional enclosure.

Jacqui

turtletania

5 Year Member
The question was a little more related to facilities, but I did think the answer would be what I got. So that is fine.
My sully only came to us 1month back so no quarantine isn't over yet anyway (by a long shot). The newbies are from the same breeder I got Dixie from but I knew they would need quarantine... i was looking more the long term.

Space is not the issue, just have to make new enclosures. What it does mean is I shall wait a little longer and make sure I have the set ups before I get them, (as I did with Dixie) so that they only have to settle once into their proper home.

Just one more Q = how far apart should they be when in quarantine? Is it just to keep them separate, or should they be like in separate rooms?

Humidity isn't an issue as I live in a place where humidity is constant all year round.... and high.

So basically thankyou for confirming they need to be separate. I have noticed others have singles of different species and just wanted to know what people think/do.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
This topic is always of such debate and do understand the theory of captive breed tortoises and the less likelihood to have the germs/diseases/parasites that are in the wild, but I wouldn't risk it myself. I agree that the cherry head's care is much different than the Leos and Sulcatas.

agiletorts

10 Year Member!
San Jose, CA
I've seen so many people mixing sulcatas and leopards without problems. I'd separate the cherryhead though because first of all it requires somewhat different environment than sulcatas/leopards and second after a while the sulcata will just get so much bigger and may inadvertently crush the smaller cherryhead.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I highly recommend AGAINST mixing species. It is possible to do it and not have them die, but its not good for all the reasons listed above AND behaviorally, they are different. Sulcatas are big bruisers and Leopards are like delicate flowers in comparison. Even if the leo is bigger, the presence and behavior of the sulcata will likely be intimidating to him. Will it be enough stress to kill his appetite and hamper his immune system? Maybe, maybe not. The question is, why risk it? Just give them each their own space and then there won't be any risk.

BTW, I love all three of those species and highly recommend them all.

chadk

10 Year Member!
I see Sullies and Redfoots being raised outdoors in Florida and other warm and humid climates. So I'm not sure I guy the 'vastly different needs' arguement.

But in general, I don't think any new keeper should plan on doing it. Until you understand all the risks and ways to manage those risks, you are just asking for trouble.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
When you look at photos of Cherry-head habitat (south-eastern Brazil), you are looking at scrub and thorn forest and savannah. (Even the more Northern Red-foots do not come from rain forest most of the time.) They experience a much wider variation of temps and humidity than the Northerners do.

I am not up on my Leo and Sully stuff, so I don't know about them, but a Cherry-head will do fine outdoors in Florida most, if not all, of the year.

I know the OFFICIAL answer is to separate tortoises from different regions, but in practice, the North American Tortoises seem to be at the most risk of catching disease from other species.

I think that there is fairly little risk in most other species getting disease after a proper quarantine period (shorter for captive bred, longer for wild caught)- however, I still think the 'best practice' is to keep them apart.

turtletania

5 Year Member
thanks everyone for the advice...
I have already started building and making arrangements for separate "living quarters" ;-)... will update when all is ready and I get them... but it will be about a month I think, cos I want to be totally ready before I receive them......... knowledge wise and with facilities.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
turtletania said:
thanks everyone for the advice...
I have already started building and making arrangements for separate "living quarters" ;-)... will update when all is ready and I get them... but it will be about a month I think, cos I want to be totally ready before I receive them......... knowledge wise and with facilities.
I think that is a very wise and mature choice you have made! Very impressed with it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.