Help!I think Princess Monster Truck is sick!

Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix
My baby Sulcata Tortoise refuses to eat or drink and hasn’t grown since I got her as a three month old.Ive fed her green mixed leaves and gave her Calcium once a week.Bathed her every week or when needed,and have special lamps for her and her companion,who isn’t showing signs of sickness,even though they share a tank.Her eyes were puffy,but I gave her eye drops and put her in warm water,careful not to cover her too much.Her shell is extremely soft too,and she has a white dot in her eye that looks similar to a cataract.She will not open this eye,only the other one,which is normal and had no gunk or disability.I syringe fed her once earlier today and am about to again,because I’m only just realizing she’s not eating.What’s wrong with my baby?Please help me!Im extremely worried,and am afraid she’s dyingView attachment 244698!!View attachment 244695

Last edited:

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Welcome! I can see a lot of things wrong that could be part of the problem.

*tortoises, especially sulcatas, should NEVER be kept in pairs. In pairs, there is always a dominant and submissive, and it sounds like she’s the submissive. They need to be separated IMMEDIATELY.

*you need to be soaking daily

*do you have uvb lighting?

*what are your temps? Basking, cool side, and night? What do you use to achieve those temps?

*what kinds of greens are you feeding? You should be feeding mostly weeds.

*what is your humidity?

*where did you get your tortoise?

Please give us pictures of your tortoises and enclosures.

Please gives these a read ASAP, and come back with questions-
How To Raise A Healthy Sulcata Or Leopard, Version 2.0 https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php...ealthy-Sulcata-Or-Leopard,-Version-2.0.79895/

For Those Who Have a Young Sulcata... https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/For-Those-Who-Have-a-Young-Sulcata....76744/

Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
The pictures you attached won’t open for me. Please post them again.

It seems that when pictures are edited into posts, they won’t work.

Phoenix
-I do have UVB lighting,but the only other tank I have to separate her in is a travel tank,which isn’t big enough to have different temps at once.
-The temp is just under 90 degrees,and the Humidity is 60,in the ‘Tropical’ range.
-I feed them Spring Mix Greens
-I got her at a reptile store in Phoenix,I can’t remember the exact name,but I can look for it If absolutely crucialView attachment 244699
This is the tank she WAS in,the tortoise shown is the dominant companion mentioned earlier.
View attachment 244700
This is her in the travel tank I’ve set up temporarily until I can find a better substitute.In the food bowl,I put ‘zoo menu tortoise and omnivorous lizard’ food,and syringe fed her it.She ate it,and has been in the same spot since.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
The travel tank might not be a terrible option to use as a hospital tank. However, I would use a low wattage ceramic heat emitter so that you also have night heat, and put a small hide in. Is there room for a bigger water bowl, like a 4-inch terra cotta saucer?.

Do you have night heat in any of the enclosures? Your temps need to never drop below 80 in the coolest part of the enclosure, with a basking spot of 95-100 degrees. Where is it reading 90?

Your humidity needs to be 80-100.

You need lots more hides in both enclosures for your tortoise to feel secure.

Another option is to get a 40 gallon tub, and put one of them in that.

Is the tortoise mix for omnivores? Because your Sulcata is a herbivore. Or is it just plants and no animal protein?

Make sure to give those links a read.

Phoenix
The travel tank might not be a terrible option to use as a hospital tank. However, I would use a low wattage ceramic heat emitter so that you also have night heat, and put a small hide in. Is there room for a bigger water bowl, like a 4-inch terra cotta saucer?.

Do you have night heat in any of the enclosures? Your temps need to never drop below 80 in the coolest part of the enclosure, with a basking spot of 95-100 degrees. Where is it reading 90?

Your humidity needs to be 80-100.

You need lots more hides in both enclosures for your tortoise to feel secure.

Another option is to get a 40 gallon tub, and put one of them in that.

Is the tortoise mix for omnivores? Because your Sulcata is a herbivore. Or is it just plants and no animal protein?

Make sure to give those links a read.

In the bigger tank,we use the black light and it seems to work for him (I think leo is a boy but we’re not sure) And I think I could try to fit the terra cotta saucer yes.How do I raise humidity?Also,what would you suggest I use for the hide in?Is there anything I can make or would you suggest only buying them?Also,and this is just irresponsible,the mix isn’t specifically for Tortoises or even animals in general..

Phoenix
Her body inside her shell is swollen as well.I can see some of her insides through her shell..is there anyway to stop swelling + reduce it?Or should I just take her to the Vet?

daniellenc

Maryland
Ok please read those links. I’m afraid from your description things won’t work out ideal but you’re in a good place now and will have help to tweak things for your other one. Ditch black light and all your other answers are in those linked posts.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
In the bigger tank,we use the black light and it seems to work for him (I think leo is a boy but we’re not sure) And I think I could try to fit the terra cotta saucer yes.How do I raise humidity?Also,what would you suggest I use for the hide in?Is there anything I can make or would you suggest only buying them?Also,and this is just irresponsible,the mix isn’t specifically for Tortoises or even animals in general..
Does not sound like your tortoise is going to make it. Also am I reading that right when you say what your feeding your tortoise is not specifically for tortoises or animals in general? If so what are you feeding it?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Or should I just take her to the Vet?

I typed this up about taking a baby to vet vet in a situation like this for another member here earlier. I think it also applies here:
There is nothing any vet can do, and most of what they want to do will make things worse. In my experience, going to the vet is a waste of time and money, and likely to do harm, while doing nothing to help, in these cases with babies suffering from the effects of chronic dehydration. Calcium injections will not repair damaged kidneys. Most vets will want to do "vitamin" injections. Some vets will want to administer antibiotic injections. None of these things have anything to do with the problem, and all of these things will make things worse and accelerate the decline.

Don't get me wrong. I am not anti-vet. Just the opposite. I am personal friends with many vets, and a good tortoise vet can be amazingly talented and helpful for some situations. There is just nothing that can be done for a hatchling that is suffering the effects of chronic dehydration because the breeder or seller kept them too dry. I've seen countless people go to the vet, spend hundreds, and in a few cases thousands of dollars, and nothing can be done. In most of these cases, the baby declines and dies due to all the "help" that the vet charged all that money for. The best thing in theses cases is a low stress environment and good hydration. Some make it and some don't.

Most people have a difficult time just standing by and watching their beloved baby die. They want to "do something". Understandably so. But once the kidneys are damaged, nothing can be done. I'll bet that even if some multi-millionaire paid for a kidney transplant and complete life support in a top-notch facility for a baby tortoise, most of them still wouldn't make it. There is nothing that can be done AFTER the damage is done. What can be done is a mass outcry and an attempt to let all the breeders out there know that babies need to be soaked daily, kept warm and humid, and not kept outside all day. Prevention, and good hydration for babies, is the ONLY thing that will stop this from happening. When people stop going to expos and buying from these people, and stop buying from other sellers who start them too dry, only then, will this stop happening.

Tell everyone you know not to buy from the wrong sources. Tell them what questions to ask. Tell the breeders that you won't buy dry started babies any more. Reward the sellers that do it correctly by giving them your business and recommendations.

Give this a read to help understand what is going on:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/hatchling-failure-syndrome.23493/

In contrast, this is how they should be started:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-incubate-eggs-and-start-hatchlings.124266/

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
I’m so sorry that you and baby are going through this. Good luck , prayers, & best wishes for u both.

Bambam1989

East Texas
The red throughout the shell, isn't that a indicator for septicemia?
Poor thing. Her troubles just keep coming.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Thanks all for your help.She passed just 10 minutes ago.Very hard loss.

That is Awful!!! This is the second passing we have read through this week. It Breaks my heart! Please speak out loudly against the starting and selling of these tortoises without proper care or info. It just seems cruel and unnecessary [emoji20]

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
So sorry for your loss. Atleast she's not suffering anymore.