[HELP] something inside my sulcata eye

Chandra

5 Year Member
hello im from indonesia and my english is not really well but i need help!
i brought sulcata about 1month ago, i have 30-35C temp in here, i soak him every 2days and i make my own tortoise table that i had seen in this forum...(i read alot in here, thanks anyway)

so, my sulcata wont eat this 2days then i notice that something is on his left eye....
i try to revome it using cotton bath but he always going into his shell and close his eyes, i cant reach it bacause im affraid if i try too hard that might harm his eyes....

i hope someone can help me with this, i post my tortoise eyes before and after, the left eye had something yellow inside it...
i also show the tortoise table,,,
btw im using my background soil that using for gardening(no toxic, root, small stone, worm or anything) for his environment,,,,

uc
uc
uc
uc
uc

Fredkas

5 Year Member
Wow, he closes his eyes like that everytime?
@Yvonne G good at this. but she is porbably sleeping right now. timezone. just wait
Anyway, you should read more. there is sticky thread under sulcata section. we recommend daily soak, and closed enclosure.
I heard there is a lot of soft shell baby sulcata in Indonesia for this batch. maybe just maybe, your tort suffer from that too. i tell this so that other experience member will be more aware for your problem.

Indonesia sell a lot of coiled uvb bulb, we here believe that is one of the reason when tort have eye problem, so if you use it, throw away right away, like ASAP.

Although Indonesia have what we believe towards hot weather, the night time sometimes drop below 80F. that is not good for your tortoise.

Indonesia care sheet is far far different from here, you should accept it with open minded.

Now let's other senior members help you. some will jump in soon.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sorry I can't help much, I can't se the pics. Some good advice given above. Keep soaking and try to let the water softly go over his head, using your hand to drizzle the water over his head when he does bring his head out.

Chandra

5 Year Member
Wow, he closes his eyes like that everytime?
@Yvonne G good at this. but she is porbably sleeping right now. timezone. just wait
Anyway, you should read more. there is sticky thread under sulcata section. we recommend daily soak, and closed enclosure.
I heard there is a lot of soft shell baby sulcata in Indonesia for this batch. maybe just maybe, your tort suffer from that too. i tell this so that other experience member will be more aware for your problem.

Indonesia sell a lot of coiled uvb bulb, we here believe that is one of the reason when tort have eye problem, so if you use it, throw away right away, like ASAP.

Although Indonesia have what we believe towards hot weather, the night time sometimes drop below 80F. that is not good for your tortoise.

Indonesia care sheet is far far different from here, you should accept it with open minded.

Now let's other senior members help you. some will jump in soon.

ya he's always fall asleep when im not soak or giving him a sunbath, is that not normal? i read that they sleep like 80% when baby??
usually i soak and give him sunlight at 0900 until 1100 then i feed him some grass like bermuda,dadelion, hibiskus, carrot, kale and sometime i give him mazuri tortoise diet....and then he fall asleep agian until the next morning, he change his possition a lot in this time...

so i cant follow the care sheet from here?

tomorrow i will post my sulcata with his open left eyes for further inspeciton, when i soak him he will open his 'damaged' eyes but only a little bit because there foregin object in it.. hope you guys can help me...
thankyou Fred

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I see one bulb in your pictures. What kind of bulb is that? Are you using any UV bulbs indoors? What kind?

There are four temperatures that you need to know and maintain. Where is it 30-35? Basking area should be 36-37, warm side around 32, cool side and over night low should never drop below 26-27. Having one overall temp in the whole enclosure does not suit this species well in my experience.

The enclosure looks very dry. What is the humidity in there?

Try reading these and see what needs to change:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
A baby tortoise that keeps his eyes closed most of the time is a sick baby tortoise. Soak him in warm water daily for at least 15 minutes. If you are using a coil-shaped UVB bulb, turn it off immediately and throw it away. That might be what is causing pain to his eyes and why he is keeping them closed.

Don't allow the temperature in the habitat to drop below 80F degrees.

You can buy either one of these products to soothe the eyes, but you still need to find out why he is keeping them closed:

eye ointment a.jpg eye ointment b.jpg

Fredkas

5 Year Member
ya he's always fall asleep when im not soak or giving him a sunbath, is that not normal? i read that they sleep like 80% when baby??
usually i soak and give him sunlight at 0900 until 1100 then i feed him some grass like bermuda,dadelion, hibiskus, carrot, kale and sometime i give him mazuri tortoise diet....and then he fall asleep agian until the next morning, he change his possition a lot in this time...

so i cant follow the care sheet from here?

tomorrow i will post my sulcata with his open left eyes for further inspeciton, when i soak him he will open his 'damaged' eyes but only a little bit because there foregin object in it.. hope you guys can help me...
thankyou Fred
carrot should be fed sparingly. sulcata can't digest sugary food well enough.
Kale? do you mean "kangkung"? kangkung is not kale. a lot of people including me mistaken it. i hope your kale is really a kale.

No, i don't mean you can't follow the care sheet here, i mean you will confuse about why indonesian tort keeper will think you overdo your enclosure if you following care sheet here. You will feel confuse about too much contradiction between the care sheet. that is up to you you choose which care sheet, read a lot and you will know which one is the best.

Chandra

5 Year Member
I see one bulb in your pictures. What kind of bulb is that? Are you using any UV bulbs indoors? What kind?

There are four temperatures that you need to know and maintain. Where is it 30-35? Basking area should be 36-37, warm side around 32, cool side and over night low should never drop below 26-27. Having one overall temp in the whole enclosure does not suit this species well in my experience.

The enclosure looks very dry. What is the humidity in there?

Try reading these and see what needs to change:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

im using bulb that they r usually use in hatching an egg, i think that's incandescent light bulb? is not safe? i cant find uvb bulb in here even the place that i brought this sulcata does not have one. the are not using it for thier sulcata....

30-35C is general temperature in indonesia but in this rainy season (september-desember) sometime the temperature can down bellow 30....

its not that dry, i always spray the soil with water daily but no too much just enough for the grass alive right there...
before i buy my sulcata i already read that 3 link that you giving ,did i miss something??

A baby tortoise that keeps his eyes closed most of the time is a sick baby tortoise. Soak him in warm water daily for at least 15 minutes. If you are using a coil-shaped UVB bulb, turn it off immediately and throw it away. That might be what is causing pain to his eyes and why he is keeping them closed.

Don't allow the temperature in the habitat to drop below 80F degrees.

You can buy either one of these products to soothe the eyes, but you still need to find out why he is keeping them closed:

View attachment 192592 View attachment 192593

so they are usually not always fall asleep like 80% a day?
okay i will try to keep him warm, if im not using any bulb is there any way to make his habitat warm?
i will try to find that products here

carrot should be fed sparingly. sulcata can't digest sugary food well enough.
Kale? do you mean "kangkung"? kangkung is not kale. a lot of people including me mistaken it. i hope your kale is really a kale.

No, i don't mean you can't follow the care sheet here, i mean you will confuse about why indonesian tort keeper will think you overdo your enclosure if you following care sheet here. You will feel confuse about too much contradiction between the care sheet. that is up to you you choose which care sheet, read a lot and you will know which one is the best.

ya i mean kangkung, is that dangerous? he really loves it.
ya you are right there so much contradiction that i cant follow in here but, i really want to let my sulcata comfort in my place.
im really affraid my sulcata die ,hope he's going better guys
Thankyou everyone

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I use this light for heat and UVB. I'm showing different brands here for you, but I like the Power Sun:

zoo-med-powersun-uv-mercury-vapor-uvb-lamp.jpg

exo-terra-solar-glo-mercury-vapor-lamp.jpg

503622.jpg

Tortoises living indoors need UVB. The bulbs above put out UVB. They also provide heat. And even though you live in a country where it is hot and humid, the tortoise still needs a spot where he can warm up. It should be about 100F directly under the light.

Then at night when you turn off the UVB light, you can keep the habitat warm by using this:

7851526_orig.png

One or the other, you don't need both.

Chandra

5 Year Member
I use this light for heat and UVB. I'm showing different brands here for you, but I like the Power Sun:

zoo-med-powersun-uv-mercury-vapor-uvb-lamp.jpg

exo-terra-solar-glo-mercury-vapor-lamp.jpg

503622.jpg

Tortoises living indoors need UVB. The bulbs above put out UVB. They also provide heat. And even though you live in a country where it is hot and humid, the tortoise still needs a spot where he can warm up. It should be about 100F directly under the light.

Then at night when you turn off the UVB light, you can keep the habitat warm by using this:

7851526_orig.png

One or the other, you don't need both.

thankyou for the advice, im waiting for my new bulb to come now...
can i ask for suggestion for subtrate? im looking for new subtrate because my sulcata feet always have dirt when he's running around his water spot...
https://www.tokopedia.com/ezyclick/etalase/subtratealas-kandang
im gonna buy thing from this website i hope you can help me to choose the subtrate, and btw i just pulled out the foregin object in my sulcata eyes i hope he's going better tomorrow...

sadly i have no sun today hope tomorrow i have a full sun
peace

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
thankyou for the advice, im waiting for my new bulb to come now...
can i ask for suggestion for subtrate? im looking for new subtrate because my sulcata feet always have dirt when he's running around his water spot...
https://www.tokopedia.com/ezyclick/etalase/subtratealas-kandang
im gonna buy thing from this website i hope you can help me to choose the subtrate, and btw i just pulled out the foregin object in my sulcata eyes i hope he's going better tomorrow...

sadly i have no sun today hope tomorrow i have a full sun
peace

I think the "Plantation Soil" is coco coir. That's the one I would use. You just have to get used to dirty water. Tracking their substrate through the water is just one of the things they do. There's just no getting around it.

Can you tell what was in his eye, what the object was?

Chandra

5 Year Member
I think the "Plantation Soil" is coco coir. That's the one I would use. You just have to get used to dirty water. Tracking their substrate through the water is just one of the things they do. There's just no getting around it.

Can you tell what was in his eye, what the object was?
okay, thankyou for the advise...
i just dont feel good seeing thier foot got dirty,

i have other vet like dog, bird and fish...and i think that's my bird food (some kind of seed shaped round/circle) inside his eyes...
im still wondering how can that thing going inside my tortoise table when my bird in the first ground and i put my tortoise table in second ground....

i just soak and give him direct sunlight, his eyes already open completely but still he dont want to eat...i donw know is he still in shock or something?

Fredkas

5 Year Member
im using bulb that they r usually use in hatching an egg, i think that's incandescent light bulb? is not safe? i cant find uvb bulb in here even the place that i brought this sulcata does not have one. the are not using it for thier sulcata....

30-35C is general temperature in indonesia but in this rainy season (september-desember) sometime the temperature can down bellow 30....

its not that dry, i always spray the soil with water daily but no too much just enough for the grass alive right there...
before i buy my sulcata i already read that 3 link that you giving ,did i miss something??

so they are usually not always fall asleep like 80% a day?
okay i will try to keep him warm, if im not using any bulb is there any way to make his habitat warm?
i will try to find that products here

ya i mean kangkung, is that dangerous? he really loves it.
ya you are right there so much contradiction that i cant follow in here but, i really want to let my sulcata comfort in my place.
im really affraid my sulcata die
,hope he's going better guys
Thankyou everyone
that factor alone, i suggest you to follow care sheet here completely.
Indonesian caresheet is outated care sheet, even the breeder and pet shop in indonesia tell me "baby sulcata die 90%, buy hatchling is so risky."
I don't think so. but they are too stubborn to make a change.
Kangkung is water spinach, should not let tortoise eat that too much. i asked here once, and people suggest variety of food. give your tortoise kangkung but don't give it too much, it is best if you can avoid it though. it is not that good. yes they like it, mine like it too.
This is the best food. remember variety is the key.

Chandra

5 Year Member
My sulcata just died,
Feel so horrible and shock...
I try to safe him but i cant :((
I dont know what's wrong, is that because of kangkung or the night temp....
I feel so so bad about this, im not trying to pet tortoise anymore, i feel so bad that i cant raise him properly...
Thanks for all your help guys

KatJ

5 Year Member
Virginia
I am so sorry to hear that. I was following this and hoping for a happy ending.
Please don't feel too bad about yourself or your care for him. It really sounds like you did a lot of research and tried to do everything you could, as best you could. He might have already been sick when you got him, as Fredkas said.

Fredkas

5 Year Member
I am sorry to hear that too. i think this is not really your fault. tortoises cannot die that quick. kangkung is not harmfull enough to create sudden death, it just kangkung is not an ideal diet.
Indonesia's night temp can't kill healthy tortoises. it can make them sick, but you will see the progress. again, not this fast.
I am sure this is not your fault. don't get beat up too much.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Terribly sorry to know that your tort died, @Chandra . You needn't feel bad. I have a strong feeling that you did all you could to save your tort's life.

Chandra

5 Year Member
I am so sorry to hear that. I was following this and hoping for a happy ending.
Please don't feel too bad about yourself or your care for him. It really sounds like you did a lot of research and tried to do everything you could, as best you could. He might have already been sick when you got him, as Fredkas said.
I am sorry to hear that too. i think this is not really your fault. tortoises cannot die that quick. kangkung is not harmfull enough to create sudden death, it just kangkung is not an ideal diet.
Indonesia's night temp can't kill healthy tortoises. it can make them sick, but you will see the progress. again, not this fast.
I am sure this is not your fault. don't get beat up too much.
Terribly sorry to know that your tort died, @Chandra . You needn't feel bad. I have a strong feeling that you did all you could to save your tort's life.

thanks for the support guys,
i just feel so bad about this... saw his stiff corpse really reallybrake my heart , he's just little creature that does not know anything
anyway thankyou for all the help and support

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi @Chandra how are you today?Sincerely hope to hear you are better. :)

I'd suggest removing your tort's corpse. This would help you to "forget" more easily. And as is said: "Time heals all wounds." ;)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Aw heck. Darn it! I'm so very sorry that this happened.