Help RES and sunlight

ETTB1314

5 Year Member
Hi, how many hours of sunlight does a baby RES need a week? Thanks!

ETTB1314

5 Year Member
Also, will tap water work for them, and how do I tackle ammonia? Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
If they can get a couple hours a day that should be good enough. You can buy a product to clear the water. I've never had to use it so I can't advise. I pump my own water up out of the ground and besides being very hard (minerals), there are no additives to it. It works fine for my turtles and tortoises. A partial water change once a week should take down the ammonia content.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
For health reasons? A tutle/tort can get by with a few hours of UVB a week, but it's best to provide more! Is he outside? Make he's wam enough!
I use tap water because the house is filtered, so no chlorine here :) I used to use ZooMed Repti safe water stuff, it's big and blue, and I think it did a nice job!
If he doesn't have a filter, just a water change every now and then is okay, because baby's are much cleaner than the adults! :eek::D

ETTB1314

5 Year Member
If they can get a couple hours a day that should be good enough. You can buy a product to clear the water. I've never had to use it so I can't advise. I pump my own water up out of the ground and besides being very hard (minerals), there are no additives to it. It works fine for my turtles and tortoises. A partial water change once a week should take down the ammonia content.
Thanks! Well right now in my country the weather is weird - so it's either super hot sun or stormy weather. Not very sure if the hot sun will harm them too much or maybe heat the water up too much.

And for baby RESes, how deep should their water be?

ETTB1314

5 Year Member
For health reasons? A tutle/tort can get by with a few hours of UVB a week, but it's best to provide more! Is he outside? Make he's wam enough!
I use tap water because the house is filtered, so no chlorine here :) I used to use ZooMed Repti safe water stuff, it's big and blue, and I think it did a nice job!
If he doesn't have a filter, just a water change every now and then is okay, because baby's are much cleaner than the adults! :eek::D
Thanks! Actually the weather here is either super hot or a storm so I was afraid the sun might be too hot for them? (And heat up the water too hot)

Is it okay to mix hose water (mostly rainwater) with the sinkwater in the house? Or will chlorine actually kill them? Also for babies, how often should they be fed?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
A few hours a week should be sufficient, but Sliders love to bask, so the more they get the better. mine bask pretty much all day long, just make sure they have a cool down aea/spot.

ETTB1314

5 Year Member

ETTB1314

5 Year Member
A few hours a week should be sufficient, but Sliders love to bask, so the more they get the better. mine bask pretty much all day long, just make sure they have a cool down aea/spot.
Thanks! But I think bringing them out for the natural sunlight is better for me as I am also on budget actually.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Natural sunlight is the best, plus it is free.