Sunlight/UV advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

PoisonOrchid

5 Year Member
Hello

Well I havent posted in a while. Been awfully busy. :/
Anyways, I had a brief question

1 How many hours per week of UV/sunlight will a hatchling tortoise need(talking about a sully)?

2 How many hours per week of UV/sunlight would a regular turtle hatchling(like a slider) need?

I ask because I recently picked up a baby RES from a friend how has NO idea how to care for them(she thought its cute so she got it). Also, I ask because I will be getting a sully hatchling soon and would like to better understand the UV requirements
I read somewhere that they need at a MINIMUM of 2 hours per week. Is this true?
Thanks

Ps I know I will need a heat light as well

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Republic O' Tejas
PoisonOrchid said:
Hello

Well I havent posted in a while. Been awfully busy. :/
Anyways, I had a brief question

1 How many hours per week of UV/sunlight will a hatchling tortoise need(talking about a sully)?

2 How many hours per week of UV/sunlight would a regular turtle hatchling(like a slider) need?

I ask because I recently picked up a baby RES from a friend how has NO idea how to care for them(she thought its cute so she got it). Also, I ask because I will be getting a sully hatchling soon and would like to better understand the UV requirements
I read somewhere that they need at a MINIMUM of 2 hours per week. Is this true?
Thanks

Ps I know I will need a heat light as well

I've read in several places that a minimum of 15 minutes per day, average, is the least required, but do all I can to make sure my torts get more...these days, they go out on my porch every sunny day that's warm enough (60F or better) for as many hours as possible, which (hopefully) makes up for cold/clody days...

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
The further north you live, the less UV hits the ground in the winter. The rough rule of thumb that spending about a minimum of an hour a week, over several sessions, in unfiltered sunlight strong enough to give you a tan.

If your sunlight is unadequate, you can offer UVB lighting and/or supplemental vitamin D.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Due to the factors mentioned by Mark and many others, there is no set amount. Just do as much as time and Mother Nature allows. If you can't do at least an hour a couple of times a week, then I'd use a Mercury Vapor Bulb. You can use the MVB anyway, just to be safe. The MVB should be on a timer and set for at least 12 hours a day for either species.

Status
Not open for further replies.