Help! Pothos Eye Irritation URGENT

shaine m

Location (City and/or State)
Kentucky
Hello.
I recently redid my ornate eastern box turtle’s enclosure and messed up big I’m afraid. I put in a blend of coco fiber and natural soil but unfortunately planted golden pothos as well. Upon learning it’s potential to irritate eyes I removed it after only one day of being in the enclosure but unfortunately my turtle was already displaying swollen eyes. The swelling is minor, he can still open them completely. However, the lids are very puffy and he seems to keep them closed unless I flush with water which I have done several times in an effort to clear the plant sap. I am so overcome with guilt I feel sick. I am in close contact with an exotic vet if care is needed but should swelling reduce in coming days? Is this an emergency? Does he need to be removed from the substrate (gets him dirty)? Please, please help he’s about 15 years old and I feel so terrible for letting this discomfort happen to him. Any help appreciated.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hello.
I recently redid my ornate eastern box turtle’s enclosure and messed up big I’m afraid. I put in a blend of coco fiber and natural soil but unfortunately planted golden pothos as well. Upon learning it’s potential to irritate eyes I removed it after only one day of being in the enclosure but unfortunately my turtle was already displaying swollen eyes. The swelling is minor, he can still open them completely. However, the lids are very puffy and he seems to keep them closed unless I flush with water which I have done several times in an effort to clear the plant sap. I am so overcome with guilt I feel sick. I am in close contact with an exotic vet if care is needed but should swelling reduce in coming days? Is this an emergency? Does he need to be removed from the substrate (gets him dirty)? Please, please help he’s about 15 years old and I feel so terrible for letting this discomfort happen to him. Any help appreciated.

First, try to relax. He's going to be ok.

There isn't much you can do for swollen lids. I doubt he would cooperate with a cucumber slice on each eye [emoji6]

You said he opens them when you flush the eyes. What I would do is get a bottle of soothing eye drops. You don't want anything to "get the red out", just a comfort drop. Refresh is one brand name. Just put a drop in each eye a few times a day. It should sooth the irritation better than water.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
What kind of light are you using? I use Pothos in my Redfoots enclosure with no problems at all, he even eats it a lot.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I tend to think it's the substrate and not the plant. I've been using pothos for desert tortoise babies for a long time with no problems.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Pothos does not have a sap that can irritate eyes. The traditional warning about pothos is because it contains raphides - which are tiny calcium oxalate crystals. These can cause irritation to mammals both skin and mouth, but chelonians are not affected.

Your issue with the eyes are not due to the pothos.

snivloc16

Kansas
Glad to know pothos is safe. They are so easy to grow. I’ve never been able to find it on the tortoise table so I wasn’t sure if it was edible.

shaine m

Kentucky
previously i had been using a sort of small mammal bedding but it did not hold humidity whatsoever. I’m still so worried about him. Shoul I just switch to the old bedding? Its just a 2 part coco fiber 1 part soil currently. thanks for all the replies and advice

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Shaine:

If I'm not mistaken, "small mammal bedding" is pine shavings. Pine should not be used with tortoises, no matter what species they are. I would switch back to your old bedding, or better yet, try to find fir bark (orchid bark) or cypress mulch.

I use potting soil or clean dirt from the yard for box turtles.

shaine m

Kentucky
Hi Shaine:

If I'm not mistaken, "small mammal bedding" is pine shavings. Pine should not be used with tortoises, no matter what species they are. I would switch back to your old bedding, or better yet, try to find fir bark (orchid bark) or cypress mulch.
it is not pine shavings. its a sort of fiborous material. here is the brand although i used the plain rather than the odor formula. upload_2019-3-11_12-29-56.jpeg

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
it is not pine shavings. its a sort of fiborous material. here is the brand although i used the plain rather than the odor formula. View attachment 267039
That's might be your issue right there. I wouldn't use that stuff. Try switching out your substrate to orchid bark, Coco coir, or Cypress mulch and see if that helps.

shaine m

Kentucky
That's might be your issue right there. I wouldn't use that stuff. Try switching out your substrate to orchid bark, Coco coir, or Cypress mulch and see if that helps.
I think you misunderstood. That is the bedding i HAD used without any problems. It is now that I’ve switched to coco fiber (coir) and he’s been in the pothos that hes had eye irritation.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I think you misunderstood. That is the bedding i HAD used without any problems. It is now that I’ve switched to coco fiber (coir) and he’s been in the pothos that hes had eye irritation.
Oh sorry didn't see that. I really don't think it's the Pothos causing the problems with your Tort though.

shaine m

Kentucky
Oh sorry didn't see that. I really don't think it's the Pothos causing the problems with your Tort though.
That may be true. My mother works for an exotic vet so I’m waiting for feedback from the doctor. I’m just so surprised to see that coco fiber has caused these problems for him. I feel so stupid

snivloc16

Kansas
My opinion is the coco coir is probably too dry and dusty. Try keeping it more moist and see if that helps.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Don't beat yourself up, it's probably not even anything you did. @Markw84 Any advice you can give OP the help out their Torts eyes?

shaine m

Kentucky
My opinion is the coco coir is probably too dry and dusty. Try keeping it more moist and see if that helps.
It is very moist, probably too moist at the moment as I had never soaked it before and added to much water so its pretty damp