Help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cree

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Scotland
Hellooo
Ive skipped introducing myself and my wee Horsefield tort atm but will get back to it. My main priority is ....

Oliver 2.5yr old has been given a tube into his throat to feed him. It started off a couple of months ago with bubbly nose but hasnt eaten or drank for about 5wks. Hes been on antibiotics for 3wks and was force fed but then that became impossible so now with the tube im hoping he will respond better.
Ive to give him 0.5ml babyfood twice a day until we see vet again next week. Has anyone else got any imput that may make me worry less and help my wee boy??
Thanks in advance :(

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:( I have not been in your shoes, but wanted to just give you a hug and let you know advise will soon be coming your way. What kind of antibody? Some causes some big issues with them not having an appetite, plus respiratory issues don't make a person or a tortoise really eager to eat as a rule. Other then eating how is he doing?

Cree

5 Year Member
Scotland
Hi Jacqui :)
He's been on Baytril antibiotic 3 days a week via injection for 3 wks.
He's still responding to his light and heatlamp coming on in the mornings so i guess thats a good thing. His skin is very flakey obviously due to dehydration. no poo or pee for about 4-5 wks either. Apart from that i guess he's ok

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Dehydration? Are you soaking him? Have you tried the soakings with baby food mixed into the water?

You are also still offering him his favorite foods? What temps are you keeping him at? Under the basking light is how warm?

How long have you had him?

Cree

5 Year Member
Scotland
He has baths daily and did try with babyfood. Heating, substrate etc appropriate for Horsefiled although ive yet to find 2 forums/sites that agree on same. Until his tube was put in last night, he was being offered his food but he trampled through it showing no interest at all. recently he's only had newspaper underneath so as theres no dust particles and an over head heatlamp throughout the night because hes poorly. Ive had him 7mths and things were great and running smoothly until 5-6wks ago and thats when i noticed the bubbly nose and he's gone down hill since.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
how warm is he? if he is too cold, he wont eat or get better. whatever it says to keep a healthy russian at temp wise.. he needs to be warmer..
now that he has a feeding tube, he can get the baytril orally.. less harsh then injections.
Has he been checked for parasites?

Cree

5 Year Member
Scotland
Hi Laura :)
Poo sample came back totally clear so at least thats something. Whats the highest temps i can have at the moment then at hot end and cool end and during the night?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Cree:

Welcome to the forum!!

So sorry to hear that your little tortoise is sick. There's a powdered product that you mix with water and put into the feeding tube. Here in the States its called "Critical Care." Ask your vet if there's a similar product in Scotland. I don't think human baby food is good for the long term. There's no fiber in it.

Since your little guy is ill, I wouldn't let him get below 80F.

Cree

5 Year Member
Scotland
emysemys said:
Hi Cree:

Welcome to the forum!!

So sorry to hear that your little tortoise is sick. There's a powdered product that you mix with water and put into the feeding tube. Here in the States its called "Critical Care." Ask your vet if there's a similar product in Scotland. I don't think human baby food is good for the long term. There's no fiber in it.

Since your little guy is ill, I wouldn't let him get below 80F.

Right ill bump up the temp at cool end straight away . Will he not want to find a cooler spot or is that not important at this stage?
I did wonder about the fibre side of things so its organic veg baby food im using and thought id gradually introduce blended greens in a day or too. do you think i should blend greens and start that tomorrow?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Sorry to welcome under the circumstances, but welcome to the forum. Several members have tube fed a tortoise before, I have not myself even though I did syringe feed a russian for about 3 months or so until she could eat on her own.

Cree

5 Year Member
Scotland
Hey Posting Freak lol, why was your wee one not eating?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I received her from someone who wanted to give her up and she had an RI, so I took her to the vet and spent like 250 or so on visits and meds for her. (Respiratory Infection)

Cree

5 Year Member
Scotland
dmmj said:
I received her from someone who wanted to give her up and she had an RI, so I took her to the vet and spent like 250 or so on visits and meds for her. (Respiratory Infection)

Our vet says its an RI that Oliver has :(

Tracy Gould said:
Welcome to the forum i hope your tort feels better soon

Thankyou :)

ALDABRAMAN said:
Welcome, I hope all works out.

What a friendly bunch you all are :)

TortieGal

5 Year Member
Oregon
Hi welcome to the forum. Sorry your little guy is sick. Do you have a light on during the day for him to bask under? Should be 90 to 95 right under the light so he can digest his food or he won't eat.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Yvonne is right :) when on antibiotics your tortoise needs to be kept at 30C day and night, not any warmer and not any cooler. You also can't keep your basking light on all the time. Your tortoise needs time to sleep and have all visible light turned off. To keep him warm during the night you can use a ceramic heat emitter (which is basicly a ceramic light bulb, giving off heat but no light).
A feeding tube is actually a good idea, as when your tortoise starts to feel better it can eat normally with the feeding tube still in place. It causes less stress than opening his mouth everyday to force feed him.

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.