Help please - leopard upside down fell out of cage

leotortoise1

Hi,
I came home this evening to find our leopard upside down on the floor in a puddle of pee and cold to touch about three feet in front of his cage (2 feet off the floor). We live near the beach and it was probably 65 degrees in the house and he's used to being kept nice and warm. His head was pulled way in and I couldn't get him to move for over 15 mins even if I tickled his legs so I put him in some really shallow warm water to get his belly to warm up with a warm compress on his back. I read several posts and I'm not sure how to tell if his gut twisted, he's bruised, his lungs mushed, etc. I finally could tell he was still alive because his legs dropped slightly in the water so I put the bowl back under the lamp in his enclosure to keep him really warm and let him relax for about ten minutes them let him be. About half hour later he popped his head out and walked over to the glass (his way of wanting to be held). I wanted him to stay warm so I just pet him in the cage for a bit then he walked over to his feeding area (where he goes when ready to eat). I fed him a bit of SB Spring Mix (Yvonne suggestion) with some ground up dried haygrass and calcium sprinkled and he inhaled it and then stood on his stone starting at me. I know he's obviously still hungry but in case his gut is messed up I didn't want to feed him too much. He is so very loved and I'm worried sick about him. Can someone prep me if I might find him in a bad place in the morning. The kids are so worried they're going to want to see him again (he was fine when they went to sleep) so I just want to know if there's anything I should/can do. I just took him out to take his pics and he was warm and quiet in his hide but definitely not his perky self so I'm nervous. I can take him to the vet in the morning if you recommend.

He hates his new big cage we put him in and is constantly trying to get out, I've just never seen him be able to actually push open the Vision glass door like that (thread said his other cage was too small and we needed to change http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/lighting-confusion-new-setup.137096/#post-1287981). I've had nothing but issues since we moved him, and twice at night I've found him heading the door and moving it slightly so I've been keep him there only during the day, and put him in his older smaller cage that's upstairs with us at night. I think he was just so spoiled and used to being right with us all the time and the new cage is too big to keep upstairs in family aread.I feel so terrible I had no idea he could/would actually open the door and get out.

Thanks so much...poor little guy.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_8165.JPG
    IMG_8165.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 47

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Hi,
I came home this evening to find our leopard upside down on the floor in a puddle of pee and cold to touch about three feet in front of his cage (2 feet off the floor). We live near the beach and it was probably 65 degrees in the house and he's used to being kept nice and warm. His head was pulled way in and I couldn't get him to move for over 15 mins even if I tickled his legs so I put him in some really shallow warm water to get his belly to warm up with a warm compress on his back. I read several posts and I'm not sure how to tell if his gut twisted, he's bruised, his lungs mushed, etc. I finally could tell he was still alive because his legs dropped slightly in the water so I put the bowl back under the lamp in his enclosure to keep him really warm and let him relax for about ten minutes them let him be. About half hour later he popped his head out and walked over to the glass (his way of wanting to be held). I wanted him to stay warm so I just pet him in the cage for a bit then he walked over to his feeding area (where he goes when ready to eat). I fed him a bit of SB Spring Mix (Yvonne suggestion) with some ground up dried haygrass and calcium sprinkled and he inhaled it and then stood on his stone starting at me. I know he's obviously still hungry but in case his gut is messed up I didn't want to feed him too much. He is so very loved and I'm worried sick about him. Can someone prep me if I might find him in a bad place in the morning. The kids are so worried they're going to want to see him again (he was fine when they went to sleep) so I just want to know if there's anything I should/can do. I just took him out to take his pics and he was warm and quiet in his hide but definitely not his perky self so I'm nervous. I can take him to the vet in the morning if you recommend.

He hates his new big cage we put him in and is constantly trying to get out, I've just never seen him be able to actually push open the Vision glass door like that (thread said his other cage was too small and we needed to change http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/lighting-confusion-new-setup.137096/#post-1287981). I've had nothing but issues since we moved him, and twice at night I've found him heading the door and moving it slightly so I've been keep him there only during the day, and put him in his older smaller cage that's upstairs with us at night. I think he was just so spoiled and used to being right with us all the time and the new cage is too big to keep upstairs in family aread.I feel so terrible I had no idea he could/would actually open the door and get out.

Thanks so much...poor little guy.

Well, they are hardy creatures for sure....I would just keep an eye on him....actually there is very little else you can realistically do...even the vet will not be able to do anything and if the tort was stressed from being upside down I would hesitate to further stress him by a vet visit....you say that he can push the door open...is there anyway you can use like a window lock or sliding glass door lock...one of those with the pressure turn screw ? It is very gut wrenching to find them bottom up and cold....I once found one of the Cal Desert Torts on its back in the morning....and I know that he had been out the entire night in the cold rain...when I retrieved him he was cold like a rock in winter to the touch, I put him in a crate with a heat lamp and left him there for a full 24 hours and by that time he was up and moving as you described your little one and within a couple of days he was his ole self and he has been strong as bull since then....so I would take a breath and plan to keep an eye on him....I also would make a point of setting up his larger enclosure in such a way he can not escape and I would allow him to settle in the new digs...just my thought :D

leotortoise1

Thanks so much @ascott I emailed the company to see if they have a lock for the cage and I'll pickup the window lock in the am for sure! Thanks for the quick response I really appreciate it.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Poor baby, keep him warm, keep him hydrated and find a way to keep him secure. If you are worried about him getting out again and his old cage is still set up may be leave him in there? Better to be too cramped than risk it happening again.
Also, have you tried covering the bottom of the glass on the new cage so he can't see out? Do you have photos of it?

Good luck, they are hearty creatures.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I hope he's OK - if you post some pics of his cage members may be able to suggest things you can do to make it safer and keep him happy.
Also have a look at the Enclosures thread for ideas.