Tortoise not going to eat! Need help!

Melanieguiliani

Location (City and/or State)
Carrollton
I have a Russian tortoise who typically is awake early in the morning and goes straight to her food bowl, basks, eats and repeats until she's done then goes in her hide and sleeps at 7pm. Shes very on time with her own routine but for the past 2 weeks she hasn't been moving from her hide. I have to physically pick her up and get her and put her by her food bowl to eat and she doesn't eat as heavily as she normally does but does eat a generous amount. Her enclosure is about 40-45% humid and the basking spot gets to about 85-90 degrees. I haven't changed anything for months so I'm not sure what's causing it. Maybe hibernating? She brumated in October maybe she's doing it again in the summer? Just trying to see what it could be or if it'll ever pass.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It may be hotter than usual and she's estivating. . . that is, she's conserving energy and waiting for it to cool off.

Nickolas

Pennsylvania
@Yvonne G may be right? If no one more experienced could help, you should consider taking him to a vet. I know it may be costly, but you shouldn't get any animal if you aren't prepared to take it to the vet.

Melanieguiliani

Carrollton
@Yvonne G may be right? If no one more experienced could help, you should consider taking him to a vet. I know it may be costly, but you shouldn't get any animal if you aren't prepared to take it to the vet.
Yeah she did the same thing around October so it could be because its summer and the room could be generally hotter