Help! Noticed flakey skin near my spur thighs eye

Moi Hutton

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hello! We have very recently adopted an old spur thigh from grandparents and I’ve noticed this bit of flakey skin near his eye this morning. It was quite rainy last night (he has sufficient cover) but as a new tortoise mother I am worrying...will you guys have a look at the pic and tell me if it’s anything to worry about?

Attachments

• 96B437CD-6A60-42A8-9069-41A852427AC3.jpeg
    96B437CD-6A60-42A8-9069-41A852427AC3.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 19
  • B4C04BED-69BE-4BC7-BA7C-70B106CCD976.jpeg
    B4C04BED-69BE-4BC7-BA7C-70B106CCD976.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 17

Agathaade

Los Angeles
Why do you say that @Unkapunka? Genuinely asking. Looks like it could be dark colored Greek to me, but that’s not based on a whole lot of experience. :)

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Maybe some more pictures, would give members a better view of the tortoise's carapace color and scute patterns.

Moi Hutton

UK
I would love to share more pictures with you all! Unfortunately I’ve only got a few and loads of videos-it’s a shame we can’t upload them. I’m pretty sure he’s a spur thigh, he has the spurs under the back of his carapace. I can’t get any more pics now as he didn’t come out of his house yesterday as it was raining and it looks like the same today. Obviously now I’m worrying about that! The uk is forecast to be rainy for the next few days so I’m wondering whether to bring him inside to sit under a lamp...but also feel like it might be best to leave him. Don’t want to freak him out - we’ve only had him a week. I’m just going to obsessively check his enclosure and change the newspaper in case any got soggy. I love him but he’s definitely something new to fixate my worries on to! ?

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Tortoise do shread skin as they grow. Sometimes they can have a piece dangling around the neck or face. Sharing pics will help but you should not pull any skin flakes off. Regular warm soaks will help the skin flakes drop off.