White thing under front leg

BoujeeAppa

Location (City and/or State)
Worcestershire , UK
Hi I’m new and have only just posted my intro post but I just wanted to ask a specific question about my baby sulcata (Boujee) that I’m a little worried about. All has been fine so far with her as in she’s active friendly bold and well just lovely! But I have noticed she has what looks like something white under her one front leg under the skin. It’s awkward to see properly because she obvs doesn’t like being held upright how you need to see it but I did snap one or two pretty good pics of it to show you I think. If anyone could have a look and tell me what it could be I would be really grateful as I am worrying a little. I’ve been keeping an eye on it and nothing has changed so far it’s just still there and it doesn’t seem to bother her but it does look odd and not nice so I’m worried incase it’s something really bad. I haven’t found a tortoise savvy vet near to us yet as we recently moved here but I will find one soon so if we need to go to get with this we will have to look for one right away obviously. Anyway here’s some pics and I hope they’re clear enough for you to see well enough. Thanks in advance!
P.S… she also has some peeling skin is this ok? We soak her daily in warm water for around 20 mins min would this be helping the skin or creating the peeling?

Attachments

• 331DCA39-7BE1-46F2-B489-94892B38CFD6.jpeg
    331DCA39-7BE1-46F2-B489-94892B38CFD6.jpeg
    954.9 KB · Views: 70
  • E3FE6862-4A17-40BA-B1AB-7A1EE59BC655.jpeg
    E3FE6862-4A17-40BA-B1AB-7A1EE59BC655.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 69
  • D65451D6-6B10-4623-B6CB-1CD0A6E3CB02.jpeg
    D65451D6-6B10-4623-B6CB-1CD0A6E3CB02.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 68
  • B07C7998-7848-4CB2-8FC1-C405394463D0.jpeg
    B07C7998-7848-4CB2-8FC1-C405394463D0.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 70

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
You do need to soak her daily, that does not cause peeling skin. That white under her leg is just nice fresh skin. Here's something to read that might help you.
hang around and ask questions...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It might be a fatty deposit, or it could be an abscess. . . or it could be nothing. To ease your mind, take him to a vet for an expert opinion.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Hi I’m new and have only just posted my intro post but I just wanted to ask a specific question about my baby sulcata (Boujee) that I’m a little worried about. All has been fine so far with her as in she’s active friendly bold and well just lovely! But I have noticed she has what looks like something white under her one front leg under the skin. It’s awkward to see properly because she obvs doesn’t like being held upright how you need to see it but I did snap one or two pretty good pics of it to show you I think. If anyone could have a look and tell me what it could be I would be really grateful as I am worrying a little. I’ve been keeping an eye on it and nothing has changed so far it’s just still there and it doesn’t seem to bother her but it does look odd and not nice so I’m worried incase it’s something really bad. I haven’t found a tortoise savvy vet near to us yet as we recently moved here but I will find one soon so if we need to go to get with this we will have to look for one right away obviously. Anyway here’s some pics and I hope they’re clear enough for you to see well enough. Thanks in advance!
P.S… she also has some peeling skin is this ok? We soak her daily in warm water for around 20 mins min would this be helping the skin or creating the peeling?
What a little sweetie !! I live in theUK, but not near enough to help with vets, but if you have a Pets at Home shop near you, they may have a vets department - the one nearest me does - and possibly a reptile vet there who is experienced with tortoises, who could help temporarily, without having to wait long for an appointment. Then check out other local vets when you have time, for future reference
Best wishes from Angie

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Photos on the internet can be very hard to resolve and examine.

Are you seeing actual bumps of skin tissue? Are there granular bumps anywhere else around the face and head?

Or is this something seen through the transparent skin? Like the bones of the shoulder joint are showing - are they moving around as the leg moves?

How is your tort feeling and behaving otherwise?

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
The peeling looks a bit more severe than what is normal, which could indicate a vitamin A overdose. Are you giving the tortoise any supplements or powders? If so, which products? A majority of the supplements on the market are too high in Vitamin A. Do you see any more extensive skin peeling on other parts? If so, post some photos.

To me the white bump looks like the ball/socket of the humerus bone. The skin looks somewhat transparent because the tortoise has lost a layer of scales there.

BoujeeAppa

Worcestershire , UK
Thank you to everyone for your replies…I’m not ignoring them and I do apologise for my late replying ive had some stuff going on at home…my husband who is my full time carer has had to have a stay in hospital due to his epilepsy becoming uncontrolled again and it’s been really stressful so I’ve had no time to come on here.
I do give supplement but tbh it’s something I’ve not done much so far as I need to try and remind myself to do it because I keep forgetting. So unless it was given too much before we had her (we’ve only had her for about a month maybe but less) I can’t see it being the supplement. The one we were given with her to use is called Reptavite. So I assume this is what they used before also. The thing under her arm is under the skin and as someone said above it’s because the skin looks so translucent. Could there be any other reasons why she’s peeling so much? She’s kept in very humid closed chamber as recommended here and baths daily. She didn’t seem to be peeling when we got her. Could it be because she may have been kept dryer before we had her so her skin is reacting to now keeping her fairly wet?? She seems completely fine in herself and she’s active and loves her food and will stomp around her viv if I haven’t fed her and she’s hungry! Leg doesn’t seem to bother her at all and she likes to dig in her viv sometimes and climb over her items in there too…

ZenHerper

New Jersey
They do peel some as they grow. Some good indicators of health in wee ones are appetite, hydration, and weight.

Start a weekly weight diary. Do a daily 30 minute warm water soak (warm - not hot - water). Offer a varied diet. There is a lot of detailed care and feeding info here:

Best wishes to you and your husband as you care for each other!

Let us know how your baby gets on.

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
Most of the VetArk products have excessive vitamin A of the damaging variety (retinyl acetate) IMO. Reptoboost has a content of 81,000 IU/lb. While this is the lowest amount in the four products they offer, it's still probably on the high end of what a small tortoise can handle. Although a toxic dose has been determined for tortoises, levels that are typically given with regular supplementation that result in skin and eye issues have not. But, it probably does not take much to cause problems since tortoises get tons of vitamin A in their diet, and supplementation puts them over the edge. It's best to avoid using products with added pre-formed vitamin A (retinyl acetate) in favor of beta carotene, which cannot cause a vitamin A overdose, since tortoises likely excrete any unused beta carotene.

I would avoid using Reptoboost, as well as any other vitamin products on the market, other than Rep-Cal Herptivite since it contains beta carotene as a source of vitamin A. Be wary of any shots that a vet might give, since they are often high in vitamin A. If your tortoise is already in a state of excessive vitamin A, the shot could reach a lethal level.