Help needed with sexing

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
We need a clear photograph of its plastron (undershell) including the tail and back legs and its Straight Carapace Length

EDIT

Which appeared after I posted. Sorry :redface:

parthb

Looks like it's definately a male to me. Classic outward pointing anal scutes creating a "flat" , not "u" shaped opening and long tail
Are you sure? I have other two tortoises. They both are definitely male. This one looks a bit different. I was thinking of gifting this one to a friend only if its male. I would like to keep it if its a female. What do you suggest? Should o give it away or wait for a few more months?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Are you sure? I have other two tortoises. They both are definitely male. This one looks a bit different. I was thinking of gifting this one to a friend only if its male. I would like to keep it if its a female. What do you suggest? Should o give it away or wait for a few more months?
Let a few others give their opinion here. But sure looks male to me. What do your other look like that is different?

parthb

Need help with sexing this tort.

Attachments

• 1466851292495.jpg
    1466851292495.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 1466851328127.jpg
    1466851328127.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 30

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Parthb

Still will stay with it looking very male to me. Your other one is older and had just developed those same traits further with straight outward anal scutes and larger tail

Here's one of my sub-adult males that has a slightly larger tail already than yours does but look at the wide, outward anal scutes. He is just over 6.5"

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1466872549.344620.jpg

Here's is one of my sub-adult females also just over 6.5". The anal scutes are much narrower and creating a definite "u" shape with smaller tail

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1466872765.340052.jpg

Hope this helps

parthb

Parthb

Still will stay with it looking very male to me. Your other one is older and had just developed those same traits further with straight outward anal scutes and larger tail

Here's one of my sub-adult males that has a slightly larger tail already than yours does but look at the wide, outward anal scutes. He is just over 6.5"

View attachment 178153

Here's is one of my sub-adult females also just over 6.5". The anal scutes are much narrower and creating a definite "u" shape with smaller tail

View attachment 178154

Hope this helps

The recent two pics, both are of different tort. Does it seem that both are male?

parthb

The length of the tort in.second pic is 6 3/4 inches . Is that possible for.a male?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Both of your recent pictures are absolutely males! My personal experience is with Burmese (platynota) as you see in the pictures. They do get larger than elegans but the Sri Lankan do get larger too. From what I've heard and read 6"-7" is large for an Indian star male but not out of the question

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
I agree both are males. I have an older Indian male who is a little over 6.5" and less than 600g. While large for an Indian not impossible.

Sri Lankan males get larger. Mine is at 7.5" and about 3lbs/1300g.

parthb

Both of your recent pictures are absolutely males! My personal experience is with Burmese (platynota) as you see in the pictures. They do get larger than elegans but the Sri Lankan do get larger too. From what I've heard and read 6"-7" is large for an Indian star male but not out of the question
I agree both are males. I have an older Indian male who is a little over 6.5" and less than 600g. While large for an Indian not impossible.

Sri Lankan males get larger. Mine is at 7.5" and about 3lbs/1300g.

Thanks