Help needed with heat in new table

OurTommy

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi there.

Just set up Tommy's new table. I am worried that he is too cold. His shell seems to be really cold to touch.

The heat under his basking spot is just below 100f. Is he clever enough to make his way to the basking spot when he's too cold? Or do I need to maybe add another light to warm up other parts of the table.

p.s. The UVB light is currently there just temporarily.

Any help as soon as will be appreciated.

ImageUploadedByTortForum1392475319.924181.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What species? I see a russian as your avatar.

If this is about a russian, and he is not choosing to go find and use the heat source on his own, then I would add some heat and light to the table. I'd plop a big aluminum domed fixture right over the middle of that table with a flood bulb in it. This should add a little heat and light up the whole table better. It can be on the same timer as the other bulbs.

Do you have a temp gun? It would be helpful to know the temps we are talking about.

OurTommy

UK
Ye he is a russian.

Only set the table up this morning/afternoon (UK time).

Do you think he will get used to it?

Will I need to ensure the rest of the table warms up or is the basking spot usually good enough.

I will look into adding more light.

Thank you

I do not have a heat gun. The colder sections are about 70F

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That CHE is only providing heat directly above and below it. It is doing nothing to warm up the habitat. Tom's suggestion is a good one...then cover the whole thing with cooking foil.

OurTommy

UK
Yvonne G said:
That CHE is only providing heat directly above and below it. It is doing nothing to warm up the habitat. Tom's suggestion is a good one...then cover the whole thing with cooking foil.

So without the foil how else would a table maintain its heat? With the big dome?

Added this bulb to it today to add lots more light. Am waiting on the new uvb which has been delayed in the post, typical!

What temps would you recommend for the surrounding table which is not in the basking spot. ImageUploadedByTortForum1392492648.605966.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: