Help (need care info)

Tiffany0214

[QU4530, post: 963735, member: 16626"]The first thing I would recommend doing is Reading Tom's threads about proper sulcata care.....I will look for them and attach them here if I can. Main points will include proper bedding, proper food, proper levels of heat and humidity.

I am hopeful that you will be able to return some of the items you recently purchased in order to acquire more appropriate ones. (?)[/QUOTE]

Is there something wrong with what we have set up in the picture I posted?

Irwin4530

5 Year Member
Some tweaks should make it perfect for the time being although he will grow rapidly. Personally I would change the substrate to Coco coir and cover the top to increase the humidity. :)

What type of light bulb and fixture are you using? Couldn't tell from the picture

:) he's a lucky little tortoise to have you

Tiffany0214

Some tweaks should make it perfect for the time being although he will grow rapidly. Personally I would change the substrate to Coco coir and cover the top to increase the humidity. :)

What type of light bulb and fixture are you using? Couldn't tell from the picture

Another post on here said I could use the bark stuff and thats all I could find today so thats what I bought. It does have a cover on it I just took the pic where you couldnt see the cover. The fixture is one of those metal "round shaped one" the normal you use for most reptiles. I have had many others. And the buld is a 75 W reptile heat bulb I believe. I threw the box away :(.

Irwin4530

5 Year Member
Don't stress! :) even the best tortoise keepers are always tweaking their habitats :) read Tom's thread (more than once) and think about what you need to change, what's working and what's not working.

I believe I have dishes like the two in your enclosure and they are very shallow and should work if they are even with the substrate (you said they were). I'm sure he enjoys the little half long hide too.

Humidity and diet will be key with your little man ;)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Is there something wrong in the way it is set up in the picture I posted?

1. Its much too small.
2. You need a humid hide.
3. You need a much thicker layer of substrate.
4. Substrate looks too dry to me. What is your humidity?
5. Your 75 watt lamp sound like it will be okay for basking, but what are you doing for night heat? UV? Are your temps where they should be?

In addition the the tread Irwin linked for you, check these out too:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Your baby already has the beginnings of pyramiding. If you don't make some changes it is likely to continue and worsen.

I hope we can help.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
You do know that that cute little guy is going to get huge fast right? A bigger enclosure would be my second priority after making sure that the temps you have are good. Hot and humid is key for him. Humid and cool will make him sick so look into getting a che for at night.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001F9CV7K/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
Please read Toms care sheets and come back with lots of questions :)

Tiffany0214

1. Its much too small.
2. You need a humid hide.
3. You need a much thicker layer of substrate.
4. Substrate looks too dry to me. What is your humidity?
5. Your 75 watt lamp sound like it will be okay for basking, but what are you doing for night heat? UV? Are your temps where they should be?

In addition the the tread Irwin linked for you, check these out too:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Your baby already has the beginnings of pyramiding. If you don't make some changes it is likely to continue and worsen.

I hope we can help.

1.What would you consider a humid hide?
2.How thick should the substrate be? Its about an 1" right now.
3.How can I measure the humidity? How can I measure the heat?
4.Is a che okay for night?

Thanks! I want to get everything corrected asap so I make sure I do not hurt him.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
1. Something that is all closed in with one small door just big enough for the tortoise. Half logs make nice cage furniture but they are much too open on both ends and allow too much ventilation to hold humidity. I like to use black dishwashing tubs from Walmart. $1.82. Flip it, cut out a door hole, press it into the substrate and dampen the substrate inside it. This will help your baby grow smoother once he learns to use it. Put him in there after dark every night until he starts using it on his own. Some of them take to it within a few days, some take months to realize that there is no sulcata eating monsters in there.

2. I like at least 3-4". And you can buy it in bulk at the hardware store. The pet store stuff is priced ridiculously.

3. Get a digital thermometer/hygrometer with a remote probe from Lowes for about $20. You can move the probe all over your habitat to check, and adjust, all your environmental parameters.

4. CHEs are great 24/7. I recommend you run it on a thermostat. The thermostat will turn it on and off for you and maintain your ambient temp where you set it around the clock. Thermostats cost around $30.

I'm glad you are asking for help and happy to offer it. There is a lot of info that will help you in the threads that have been linked here. If you haven't read them yet, I think you will be glad you did.

And welcome to the forum too!

Tiffany0214

1. Something that is all closed in with one small door just big enough for the tortoise. Half logs make nice cage furniture but they are much too open on both ends and allow too much ventilation to hold humidity. I like to use black dishwashing tubs from Walmart. $1.82. Flip it, cut out a door hole, press it into the substrate and dampen the substrate inside it. This will help your baby grow smoother once he learns to use it. Put him in there after dark every night until he starts using it on his own. Some of them take to it within a few days, some take months to realize that there is no sulcata eating monsters in there.

2. I like at least 3-4". And you can buy it in bulk at the hardware store. The pet store stuff is priced ridiculously.

3. Get a digital thermometer/hygrometer with a remote probe from Lowes for about $20. You can move the probe all over your habitat to check, and adjust, all your environmental parameters.

4. CHEs are great 24/7. I recommend you run it on a thermostat. The thermostat will turn it on and off for you and maintain your ambient temp where you set it around the clock. Thermostats cost around $30.

I'm glad you are asking for help and happy to offer it. There is a lot of info that will help you in the threads that have been linked here. If you haven't read them yet, I think you will be glad you did.

And welcome to the forum too!

Thank you for all your help and advise! We will correct everything within the next day or so that way we make sure he is happy and healthy. I did read the articles and printed them to take home with me so I do not forget anything :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you for all your help and advise! We will correct everything within the next day or so that way we make sure he is happy and healthy. I did read the articles and printed them to take home with me so I do not forget anything :)

Great! You are sure to have lots of questions and we are glad to help you with your goal of tortoise health and happiness. :)

Prairie Mom

Hi Tiffany :) I just wanted to let you know that I'm new to this forum also. My sulcata joined my family with metabolic bone disease and I wasn't completely certain what kind of tortoise I had, nor even how to give my tortoise the most basic housing. Many of the same people who have offered you help here also helped me. At times, I felt a bit confused and questions lead to more questions. Sometimes, I even had to google equipment names and abbreviations forum members would talk about;) I listened to all the advice that was given to me and read every pertinent care sheet I could find on the forum and I STILL ask lots of questions! I just wanted to let you know that you are in GOOD HANDS. I really think this forum saved the life of my tortoise and I began seeing huge improvements in the health of my tort after following advice given to me here for just a couple weeks! I'm glad you found this forum and am sure your baby will thrive under your loving care!

Irwin4530

5 Year Member
How is everything going??
I'm so excited to watch your progress! :)