Need help with adopted tortoise

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Hello @kalei01 , and a very warm welcome to the forum.

A gorgeous tort! GOD bless.

Please do not allow your tort to roam around outside. It just is not safe enough.

kalei01

5 Year Member
Lubbock, TX
Hello @kalei01 , and a very warm welcome to the forum.

A gorgeous tort! GOD bless.

Please do not allow your tort to roam around outside. It just is not safe enough.
I understand that now i am new and still learning the ropes that is why i am asking a lot of question so the tortoise does not get hurt. He gained 1 gram since friday when i first weighed him

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I understand that now i am new and still learning the ropes that is why i am asking a lot of question so the tortoise does not get hurt. He gained 1 gram since friday when i first weighed him
Keep asking questions when in doubt. We're here to help!

Bee62

Germany
Yes, ask questions as much as you need. Like @Gillian Moore said, we all stand by you that your tort grow up safe and healthy.
1 Gramm weight more until Friday is fine.
My little sullys decreases 1 Gramm in one week at that age.
65 F at night for your sully is to cold if the humidity is high.
Cold and humid = danger for the tort to get an infection ( a cold ).
Warm and humid = the best climate to grow up healthy.

So it would be much safer for your baby to have night temperatures that never drop under 77 F.
With a CHE heater it will be allright.

kalei01

5 Year Member
Lubbock, TX
Yes, ask questions as much as you need. Like @Gillian Moore said, we all stand by you that your tort grow up safe and healthy.
1 Gramm weight more until Friday is fine.
My little sullys decreases 1 Gramm in one week at that age.
65 F at night for your sully is to cold if the humidity is high.
Cold and humid = danger for the tort to get an infection ( a cold ).
Warm and humid = the best climate to grow up healthy.

So it would be much safer for your baby to have night temperatures that never drop under 77 F.
With a CHE heater it will be allright.
What temperature is considered too hot and what is too cold and what humidity should i keep tortoise at and should i keep whole space humid or just hide-away

Bee62

Germany
Under the basking lamp the temperature should be 102 F.
Temperature more than 103 F are too high.
These are temps for the warm side of the enclosure.
But your tortoise should also have a "colder" side. The tort should be able to choose between warmer and colder temps.
The "colder" temps are 77 F. All temps under 77 F are too cold for a baby sulcata tortoise.

It is better to keep the whole soil of the enclosure of the tort humid.
And don`t forget to soak your baby tort daily in warm water for half an hour and offer fresh water to drink every day in a flat flower coaster.
Such a little tort quick dehydrates when it get`s less humidity. And the dehydration damage the kidneys of a tort irreversible.

kalei01

5 Year Member
Lubbock, TX
great newservice weighed my little guy after his soaking and he is up to 60 grams from 56 Last week hope that is good growth fed him a little extra today since he was searching for food I also updated his enclosure and went from 20 % humidity to 65-70% humidity also installed a che for night but could not find a temp controller at any of the pet store so just turn on at night and it brings temps to 90-95 with day temps with heat uvb/uva lamps to 80-85 with chemical off tried to have che on during day but temps went to well above 100 and did not want to roast him

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
great newservice weighed my little guy after his soaking and he is up to 60 grams from 56 Last week hope that is good growth fed him a little extra today since he was searching for food I also updated his enclosure and went from 20 % humidity to 65-70% humidity also installed a che for night but could not find a temp controller at any of the pet store so just turn on at night and it brings temps to 90-95 with day temps with heat uvb/uva lamps to 80-85 with chemical off tried to have che on during day but temps went to well above 100 and did not want to roast him
You need to find a thermostat on amazon for the night time, he needs those temps to cool down.

They have some really good ones for $17-20 that are digital

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
They may have thermostats at a hardware store. People use them for growing seedlings, making beer, etc.
This is the one I have: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MDSWXY4/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
I bought it because I could plug in more than one device.

Bee62

Germany
Hello @kalei01
What you write are really good news. That the little guy gained in weight and your changes in temps and humidity. Good done !
You can feed your little tort as much as he/she wanted to eat every day. They know what they need.

kalei01

5 Year Member
Lubbock, TX