Help! Near drowning!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
Help! Several of my tortoise hatchlings were involved in a near drowning today. They are all still alive and under warm lights right now. Is there anything else I can'should be doing?

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
What happened? If they are moving around and of course eating anything I would think they are fine. I can only guess you were soaking them and the water was just alittle deep?? I killed my first little boxie I got 25 years ago soaking in just a little water. Oh it was awful and I was so upset for the longest time. I didn't get another tort for 15 years.
Hope your guys are OK.
NA

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
kimber_lee_314 said:
Help! Several of my tortoise hatchlings were involved in a near drowning today. They are all still alive and under warm lights right now. Is there anything else I can'should be doing?

How are they now? They need a little more heat than usual right now but, don't boil them.:(

Well, if it helps the lungs occupy the upper half of the shell and the guts are along the bottom half like a rabbit.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
And...they can hold their breath for a long, L-O-N-G time!!

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
No, I wasn't soaking them. I keep them in rubbermade containers with screen tops. It was 75 today so I put the whole tub out so they could get some sunshine. For some reason, I have no idea why, my automatic sprinklers (that are off!) came on. The tubs were filled with 8 inches of water when I came home! Some of the babies were floating and some were on the bottom on the container. I got them all out - and then had to do the same thing with my box turtle hatchlings. (Some were floating and some were on a floating log.) I got them out and they were fine - I guess because they can swim a little and had the floating log. The tortoises' log didn't float. After some warming up, the tortoises started moving about and they are eating, so I guess they are ok - but they had to be in there a long time. I read that they should go on antibiotics for precautionary reasons, but I'd rather not. Some of them are still quite small. Do you think I should do this (with my vet's approval of course) to avoid pneumonia or just wait and see?

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...Like Yvonne said, they can hold their breath for quite a long time. If they are eating and moving around, I wouldn't worry about it. I wouldn't put them thru the trauma of taking antibiotics if it isn't absolutely necessary. I would keep them a bit warmer for a few days and keep a close watch on them...especially their eyes & noses.
Good luck
Patsy

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
That must have been really scary! Hope they continue to do well. Keep us posted!

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
They seem fine today. They ate a big hibiscus flower, so I guess they feel well enough to eat. I drilled holes in the bottom of the containers so that will never happen again - and I will never put them out on the grass again. I have a place where the sprinklers don't hit. I'll keep watching them for any nose or eye issues. Thanks everyone! :)

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
I.m glad to read they seem OK. I had no idea sprinklers put out that kind of water. I seem to have to water forever and when I dig down it seems to have barely touched the top inch!
Wait a minute doesn't everyone have a foot of snow on their lawn now??
Na

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Not in So Cal! It's been in the 70s here - which is why I put them out. The sprinklers came on some time after 12 and were on until I got home at 3:30. The whole yard was flooded. I'm just glad they're all ok. I can't imagine losing 12 of them in one swoop like that. I'm still traumatized. :(

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
what sort of tortoises?

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Meg90 said:
what sort of tortoises?

Seven Hermann's (dalmatians, easterns, and westerns)
Five box turtles (Floridas and Gulf coasts)

All hatched this year

Status
Not open for further replies.