help my turtle is dying??1?

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New England
its shel is flaking off. pls help. i keep it in my living room so it haz lots of space to walk. why is it dieing? its name is April.

P4010106.JPG

Just in case you didn't figure it out, this is a joke. That photo is actually a cool turtle's shell I found in the woods a while ago. Here's a better photo of it:

P4010108.JPG

It is pretty much completely intact and you can still see the backbone inside. Does anyone have any idea how to preserve the keratin so it stops peeling off like that?

Last edited:

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
Place the entire carapace 25 feet deep into the mud flats of upper Pennsyltucky. Wait 250 million years, unearth, it will be perfectly preserved. :)
Good idea! Any ideas on how to live that long so that I can see it after?:D

Jay Bagley

Michigan
its shel is flaking off. pls help. i keep it in my living room so it haz lots of space to walk. why is it dieing? its name is April.

View attachment 234899

Just in case you didn't figure it out, this is a joke. That photo is actually a cool turtle's shell I found in the woods a while ago. Here's a better photo of it:

View attachment 234900

It is pretty much completely intact and you can still see the backbone inside. Does anyone have any idea how to preserve the keratin so it stops peeling off like that?
Haha the title made me take a double take. Pretty cool find.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm surprised there weren't more April Fool's jokes. But I have to admit, you got me! I was composing my reply in my head as I was reading your post - hm-m-m, water turtle, no walking around on the floor, etc.

jonathan gray

5 Year Member
I just use an aerosol can and it works fine. Be sure the acrylic gets under the scutes as it will cement them in place. Also don't forget to spray the inside and get some acrylic in the sutures on the carapace.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I'm surprised there weren't more April Fool's jokes. But I have to admit, you got me! I was composing my reply in my head as I was reading your post - hm-m-m, water turtle, no walking around on the floor, etc.

I was thinking the same thing!!![emoji38]