Help! My tortoise has a runny nose, is whistling all the time, and is scratching his face!!!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I was told by the vet i was seeing to use a reptisun 10.0 desert bulb with a dome lamp. Its the tube kind. I keep it a foot away.

For the heat mat i use an undertank heater. Right now i use a small one that is plastic safe for his temporary enclosure. I have a bigger heat mat for when we move. I also use a heat mat thermostat so i can control the temp.

I agree about the stress part. Stress can be a big factor in causing his (what i believe) RI
Hi Helena: The vet told you to use a Reptisun 10.0 desert bulb with a dome lamp. This is NOT the tube kind. This is a compact fluorescent bulb, and they have been known to harm young tortoises' eyes. The "tube type" we're referring to is long, maybe 22" long, not tubed back and forth and fitting in a dome fixture.

Compact fluorescent bulb - Reptisun 10.0:

1597856732501.png

This is the kind we're telling you to use:

1597856794943.png

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Wait what is wrong with an under tank heater? Is it dangerous?
Yes.

When a tortoise feels hot, their instinct is to dig down to escape the heat of the sun. They don't use reason and logic to realize "Hey. This mat under me is hot and I should move off of it." Intread they keep trying to dig down underground and get "away" from the surface heat and sun. In the wild, this would save their life. In our tanks, this places them right on top of the mat. They don't sweat to cool, and the temperature only has to be a little over 100 to eventually do damage. It doesn't have to be so hot that they burst into flames. Just a little too hot is enough to kill cells and damage tissue. Much the same way a basking bulb will often "slow-burn" the carapace of larger tortoises.

Last edited by a moderator:

Clueless Tortoise

Raleigh, NC
Yes.

When a tortoise feels hot, their instinct is to dig down to escape the heat of the sun. They don't use reason and logic to realize "Hey. This mat under me is hot and I should move off of it." Intread they keep trying to dig down underground and get "away" from the surface heat and sun. In the wild, this would save their life. In our tanks, this places them right on top of the mat. They don't sweat to cool, and the temperature only has to be a little over 100 to eventually do damage. It doesn't have to be so hot that they burst into flames. Just a little too hot is enough to kill cells and damage tissue. Much the same way a basking bulb will often "show-burn" the carapace of larger tortoises.
Okay thank you. That makes a lot of sense. Would it be okay if I kept it on at night? just on one side of his little terrarium?

Clueless Tortoise

Raleigh, NC
I just got back from the vet. He does have a upper respiratory infection, (as I and many others believed he did). He got his first shot for antibiotics, and has nasal drops that I will give to him two times a day. He goes back Friday for another shot. The vet and I agreed that if he continues to not eat in the next couple days, he will get critical care oral feeding. Hopefully he eats, but only time will tell. Thank you for your wisdom and support.

zovick

10 Year Member!
I just got back from the vet. He does have a upper respiratory infection, (as I and many others believed he did). He got his first shot for antibiotics, and has nasal drops that I will give to him two times a day. He goes back Friday for another shot. The vet and I agreed that if he continues to not eat in the next couple days, he will get critical care oral feeding. Hopefully he eats, but only time will tell. Thank you for your wisdom and support.
Do you know the name of the antibiotic? Was it ceftazidime (Fortaz)? Just curious what medication the vet used. Also where was it injected? Front leg or rear leg areas?

Agathaade

Los Angeles
Hi @Helena F.
Just chiming in to give you a little tip about repeating the same answers multiple times. Or what seems like the same answers, but may not be.

You can create a template in a notes app on your phone or laptop, all systems have one, that you can copy paste. I’m saying this bc looks like in your frustration you spent time writing about being frustrated when a simple copy paste would have been a quicker solve. No judgement here, just trying to point a way forward. :)
Could look like this :

DAYTIME
Cool side temp :
Basking temp :
Cool side humidity :
Warm side Relative humidity
NIGHTTIME
Overnight temp :
Overnight Relative humidity
*Measurement tools : type and method

LIGHTS & HEAT
Basking bulb : make and Wattage
UV : make and model
CHE :
Heat mat : type and placement

Substrate :

Enclosure type : kiddie pool, open.

Symptoms : description and duration

Please anyone knowledgeable improve on this!!! Maybe the forum could pin such a form when people come asking for help and inevitably the same questions are asked.

Good luck with your tortoise. :)

Clueless Tortoise

Raleigh, NC
Hi @Helena F.
Just chiming in to give you a little tip about repeating the same answers multiple times. Or what seems like the same answers, but may not be.

You can create a template in a notes app on your phone or laptop, all systems have one, that you can copy paste. I’m saying this bc looks like in your frustration you spent time writing about being frustrated when a simple copy paste would have been a quicker solve. No judgement here, just trying to point a way forward. :)
Could look like this :

DAYTIME
Cool side temp :
Basking temp :
Cool side humidity :
Warm side Relative humidity
NIGHTTIME
Overnight temp :
Overnight Relative humidity
*Measurement tools : type and method

LIGHTS & HEAT
Basking bulb : make and Wattage
UV : make and model
CHE :
Heat mat : type and placement

Substrate :

Enclosure type : kiddie pool, open.

Symptoms : description and duration

Please anyone knowledgeable improve on this!!! Maybe the forum could pin such a form when people come asking for help and inevitably the same questions are asked.

Good luck with your tortoise. :)
Haha yeah. Fr that would have been a lot less time consuming then going on a rant. will def use that. thanks so much

Clueless Tortoise

Raleigh, NC
Do you know the name of the antibiotic? Was it ceftazidime (Fortaz)? Just curious what medication the vet used. Also where was it injected? Front leg or rear leg areas?
I do not know. we were running around trying to get him and do this from the car since we aren't allowed into the actual clinic due to covid. He gets another shot on Friday and will def ask those questions. The nasal drops are called terramycin ophthalmic ointment. Also does anyone have any ideas on feeding my tort. He hasn't eaten in about 4-5 days now and if he doesn't eat by friday he will have to have critical care oral feeding. I was thinking about making his food into a mush, since I don't want to syringe feed him due to possible aspiration. Any ideas?

zovick

10 Year Member!
I do not know. we were running around trying to get him and do this from the car since we aren't allowed into the actual clinic due to covid. He gets another shot on Friday and will def ask those questions. The nasal drops are called terramycin ophthalmic ointment. Also does anyone have any ideas on feeding my tort. He hasn't eaten in about 4-5 days now and if he doesn't eat by friday he will have to have critical care oral feeding. I was thinking about making his food into a mush, since I don't want to syringe feed him due to possible aspiration. Any ideas?
I would just keep offering him the things he used to like the most. As soon as he starts feeling better from his medications, he will eat on his own, hopefully by Friday. Tortoises can go quite a while without eating and still be OK. The vet who does endoscopies at UGA vet school requires that the tortoises not be fed for three days before going to him for the appointment. By the time they have been endoscoped, they haven't eaten for four days and aren't offered food till the fifth day.

Clueless Tortoise

Raleigh, NC
I've found that soaking his Mazuri tortoise diet in warm water helps soften the pellets up, as well as steaming carrots and other veggies to make them softer. He just ate today by hand feeding. I soak him in lukewarm water 2x per day before I give him his nasal injections. Bathing him before his meds seems to help the ointment dissolve into his nostrils easier than when he's dry. He also is drinking the water so that's good too. He hates the ointment though and keeps wiping it off. Im keeping him in temps above 85 as well so he stays nice and warm. He sleeps 99% of the day, but was wondering if he could go outside for like 30 minutes for some fresh air. He gets his second set of shots tmr, and will continue treatment until he is better.

Clueless Tortoise

Raleigh, NC
also, I recently noticed that my russian tortoise's spots were wearing down. ive read they wear down, especially for digging breeds but do the come/grow back? also he has a dip inwards in the last middle scute. anyone know why and is there anyway to fix both of these problems? I give him supplements and the correct diet, as well as improving his enclosure