Help. Sulcata with runny nose and is making squeaking noise

Lex Murc

Location (City and/or State)
Tucson Az
My baby Sulcata Squirt has a slight runny nose I think. I gave him some cilantro that was slightly wet. I walked away for two min come back and only his head was wet. But now he’s making a squeaking noise much like a hamster and rubbing his nose. Please help I’m worried.
Side note ( I just got the night time basking bulb because it gets really cold in my room at night) that’s the only thing I can think of that has recently happened that’s different.

S

SuIcata

My small ones have usually a runny nose after I gave them aloe vera and also make this sound its usually gone after a few hours after they finished eating so u shouldn't be too worried right now give him a little bit of time if it's not gone tomorrow he has probably a cold u can then give him soaks in warm water for about a week till its gone

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Have you seen any mucus or snot bubbles coming out? He might have just gotten something in his nose, but with temps too cool, it could be the start of a respiratory infection.

However, if the night lamp is a colored light, it can’t be used. The tortoise can see both the color and the light. You should be using a ceramic heat emitter or radiant heat panel on a thermostat.

-what are your enclosure temps? Basking, coolest temp, and night?

-what is your humidity?

-what substrate are you using?

-can we see a picture of your enclosure?

Lex Murc

Tucson Az
He lives outside I bring him in at night I don’t really have anything for him just a towel and a heat lamp for the couple hrs he’s in here. What do you recommend?

Before I had a mulch and moss mixture in a large storage container.

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't keep my babies outside until they're about three years old. Until then, they live inside in a container that I keep at 80-85F degrees, day and night.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He lives outside I bring him in at night I don’t really have anything for him just a towel and a heat lamp for the couple hrs he’s in here. What do you recommend?

You said "baby", so I am guessing you are talking about a small one. Living outside full time is really bad for them. They don't do well living that way and many don't live at all. There is a lot of old, bad info out there on the care of this species, and much of it is perpetuated by the breeders themselves. They are not desert animals and cannot survive desert condition. They hatch during the hot humid wet rainy season over there. Dryness is very bad for them. They are also a tropical species, which means they need it warm day and night. Our temperate winters can be fatal to them.

If you want him to live, please read these and make some changes:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Your questions and conversation are welcome. Please allow us the opportunity to explain why the info you've previously received is wrong, and what we are now saying is right. Your baby's life literally depends on it.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas

That’s likely the problem. Young tortoises should be living inside full time with temps no lower than 80 and humidity 80-100%% until they’re 8-11 inches.

Please give these a read-
How To Raise A Healthy Sulcata Or Leopard, Version 2.0 https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php...ealthy-Sulcata-Or-Leopard,-Version-2.0.79895/

For Those Who Have a Young Sulcata... https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/For-Those-Who-Have-a-Young-Sulcata....76744/

Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
My baby Sulcata Squirt has a slight runny nose I think. I gave him some cilantro that was slightly wet. I walked away for two min come back and only his head was wet. But now he’s making a squeaking noise much like a hamster and rubbing his nose. Please help I’m worried.
Side note ( I just got the night time basking bulb because it gets really cold in my room at night) that’s the only thing I can think of that has recently happened that’s different.
My babies have that sometimes, as long as the mucus is not cloudy and your tort continues to act happy and active I wouldn’t be concerned

Lex Murc

Tucson Az
UPDATE: so originally I was not aware that he needed humidity. I always thought they were just a desert tortoise so I used a plastic storage container with sifted dirt with no sand and sprayed it twice today with water and turned the lamp on to create humidity. Also I put moss in there so it retains some of the water and his nose stopped running. (Well so far “knocks on wood”) but he’s being active and is exploring and digging. So maybe it was just to dry And or allergies? I also gave him a warm bath today. Definitely gonna have to fix his outside enclosure though.