HELP! (mites)

pfara

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
If they're white/silvery and sometimes hop, chances are they're springtails. Most of the insects that I've seen in my enclosures are beneficial, not harmful. I actually encourage adding certain bugs for a bioactive substrate. Last year I added less than 10 pill bugs into a 6x9' enclosure and this summer, I've noticed families spread throughout. The babies are super tiny and adorable. I did the same for earthworms and they're following the same pattern.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
If they're white/silvery and sometimes hop, chances are they're springtails. Most of the insects that I've seen in my enclosures are beneficial, not harmful. I actually encourage adding certain bugs for a bioactive substrate. Last year I added less than 10 pill bugs into a 6x9' enclosure and this summer, I've noticed families spread throughout. The babies are super tiny and adorable. I did the same for earthworms and they're following the same pattern.
Agreed. most tiny insects seem to not bother tortoises at all. will they wash off with a stream of water?