Help me with my tortoise species.

Status
Not open for further replies.

elfelf83

5 Year Member
Hi all! 1st post here after some help. Have myself a tortoise had her (i think) and the woman I got her from had hermann and greek tortoise together, she claimed some were hybrids (and admittedly they did look different) and after looking at pics im now doubting what species she is and obviously wanna make sure she gets the right food etc. Im wondering what mine is. A hybrid, a hermann or a greek and what kind of greek. The woman was very unhelpful when calling her so have called on you lot! Thanks in advance. Can add more pics later if needed.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using TortForum mobile app

Attachments

• 1372007877602.jpg
    1372007877602.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 153
  • 1372008212554.jpg
    1372008212554.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 156
  • 1372008245000.jpg
    1372008245000.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 159

TBoyze

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maple Ridge, BC, Canada
I have a baby sulcata. He looks nothing like yours, she is very cute tho! Looks like you got a one of a kind!

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
I would say testudo hermanni boettgeri. Will stay smallish and is very common so plenty of care sheets available. Do you have any pics of the 'hybrids'?

elfelf83

5 Year Member
Speaking the woman she claims my tortoise is one of the hybrids. Which is why im suddenly unsure as what breed she is. These are older pics. When I get a chance I will take some new ones and a shot of the underside. Thanks for your replies.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
It really does look THB IMO but then again I'm used to seeing smooth torts at that age so might be different. What did she say it was a hybrid of? How much did you pay for her? By the way, just useful to know they're species not breeds.

elfelf83

5 Year Member
Yeah I meant species... my bad! Oh and its supposed to be a hybrid of hermann and she said greek. But didn't say what kind of greek :/ sorry I can't be more specific. Didn't pay for her, she was a gift. The woman was a friend of an ex... I suspect more pictures will make you 100% sure but for now I will take it as you being correct. :)

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Oh that's good you didn't pay for her, didn't want to think you had ended up with some rare tortoise worth 1000s and then realise it wasn't what you thought. I honestly still think THB but more photos would be useful. I'm sure others will be able to help more as well.

abclements

5 Year Member
I agree with flintus, that being said, I have noticed that Iberia Greek and Eastern Hermann babies look ridiculously similar. So it is very possible that you could have a hybrid. It will be more apparent as time progresses to what it may or may not be.

Sent from my LG-P769 using TortForum mobile app

elfelf83

5 Year Member
Here you go, extra pics. She is quite a bit bigger now (old pics are all I had) so maybe as you said something else will show. Would I be correct in thinking the 1st picture... those 2 notches/bumps are spurs?

Attachments

• 1372020871150.jpg
    1372020871150.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 98
  • 1372020886811.jpg
    1372020886811.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 99
  • 1372020903265.jpg
    1372020903265.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 98

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
PM GBTortoises. He will most likely know what you've got there.

Your baby is very pyramided for its age and species. That means its being kept entirely too dry. It need a damp substrate and a proper humid hide box. More soaks wouldn't hurt at this point either.

elfelf83

5 Year Member
Ah right ok! Will sort that out asap. Any substrate recommendations? She does have a moist hide mind and a "bath" in her enclosure. And I soak her quite regularly. How often should be soaking her? She is about 5+ years old. Again thanks for the replies!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, those notches/bumps are going to be spurs. The pyramiding smoothed out quite a bit from the first pictures to these latest pictures. It also looks like her tail was bitten off. The tail looks "different" to me. GBTortoises will know for sure.

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
Base on the shell she looks a little a lot like an Ibera Greek. I'm just guessing

elfelf83

5 Year Member
Yeah compared to the adults that she came from she is TINY. How Long do they take to reach adult size? And great about the spurs, her tail isnt scared or anything though. Oh and the shell... is thay consistent with the Greek or is that more hermann as there is (don't know if all you guys saw earlier posts) a possibility she is a hermann/greek hybrid.

Just seen based on the shell greek. :)

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Well torts never stop growing but most would classify being an adult at between 10-15 years. The shell definitely looks a THB but underside and spurs look a bit graeca like. It really does not seem like an ibera IMO, shell is way too different. As said, PM GBTortoises

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Raymo2477 said:
It looks like testudo graeca ibera to me with the spurs and tail
The spurs and tail definitely indicate a spur thigh of some kind, but not sure the shell is an ibera.
EDIT: Hang on just seen the newer pic of the shell from the top, somehow missed it. Yes, probably is an ibera actually. So yes TGI.

elfelf83

5 Year Member
Not to disagree as I honestly dont know but have Googled this ibera and can't find any with a shell even remotely like hers. But again will go by your much more experienced opinion.

Cancel that... google had changed with predictive text on my phone! Best substrate for her? Caresheets are one thing owner experience is another so what's the best?

Status
Not open for further replies.