Help with my new Hermann Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amyfranklin20

5 Year Member
Hi All,
I bought my hermann 2 days ago now, I have done an awful lot of research into them and what they need but it seems that everybody is saying different things so im overly confused at the moment. So i am hoping if i add my basic info to this forum then you can all give me some advice.

The pet shop i bought her from was very unhelpful, thats why i bought her really, i aimed to buy from a breeder not a pet shop but she was on her own so i almost felt i needed to save her. Im not sure if the pet shop looked after her too well, they couldnt tell me what sex it was and just guessed that it was female from the look of its tail. It was as easy as paying and them shoving her in a box for me to buy, it just seemed very careless, again which is a reason i felt i needed to save her.
I currently have the set up which the pet shop told me to have, but i refused a vivarium and heat matts as ive heard how bad they are. (in the shop they had her on chunky bark in a glass front cabinet with no water or food in there?)

She has an open top table with a heat lamp and UV strip, shallow water bowl, food bowl and a little turtle tunnel that she loves to hide in.
The base about 1 1/2 inches of forest bark (recommended by shop) and she loves to bury herself in it and sleep.
Only thing i was worried about is that so many people say different things about what to have laid out in the table. (Main thing id like advice on)

Secondly, she doesnt really seem to want to eat, i have cabbage, rocket, banana and cucumber out for her just so i can get see what she actually likes but she isnt interested, the only time ive ever seen her eat is the first night we had her, she started to bite if we put our fingers near her, so i took the opportunity to swap my finger for some cabbage and she loved it! But doesnt seem interested again (I know it may be normal as ive only had her a couple days but im a novice, this is why im writing this), i just want to check im giving her the right food and what you all recommend too! Im slightly worried that the pet shop have been giving her pellets so she doesnt really know what im feeding her

She sleeps an awful lot and doesnt seem to like the sun or light very much, spends alot of time in her turtle tunnel sleeping. She is also very jumpy, i try to interact with her to get her used to me by gently rubbing her head or her shell but she seems to go in her shell until she realised im harmless and then enjoys it (Im guessing she will get used to this?)

We are also looking at getting a second tortoise, i think another female as ive heard male and female doesnt always work so well together, any advice on this?

Finally, we have been told that the heat light and the uv light needs to be on 9am - 9pm and then off 12 hours. Just want to make sure this is ok too for her?

I think thats everything, she is 2 years old, born 2011. Now dont get me wrong im not completely clueless and have just gone out and bought a turtle without appropriate care as i sorted this prior to buying her but i just want to make sure that it is the best thing for her as i want her to be happy!

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
I wish I could help you . Someone will reply soon that can.
Welcome!! :)

Nice name by the way!! :) :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Amy, and welcome to the Forum!

You aren't offering the tortoise foods that he recognizes as food. Try this:

"If fed grocery store produce, it should be mixed into a salad and may include endive, escarole, shredded carrot, kale, opuntia, occasional romaine, and occasional pumpkin. The mixed salad diet is low in fiber so it is helpful to sprinkle with bermuda grass hay that has been ground to a powder (a coffee grinder works well). Dust the food with calcium daily, and if the tortoise isn't kept outdoors in natural sunlight, also use a combination calcium-D3 product a couple of times a week. It is also helpful to keep a cuttlebone (with the back removed) in the enclosure so your tortoise can nibble on it if she or he feels the need for more calcium. "

Amyfranklin20

5 Year Member
Thanks for this! I did actually order some cuttlefish bone for her last night so hopefully that will help. Im not too familiar with where to get the products yet, i suppose itll be hard to explain as i am in the UK and things are slightly different. But i will look into all that you have recommended and hopefully i can some asap! :)

ColinF87

5 Year Member
Edinburgh, Scotland
Don't worry too much about the lack of activity. It'll take her a couple of days to get used to her new home, then she'll be a bit more active. If she's not spending long under the light, it might be too warm for her - what temperature is her basking spot at? In terms of food, try some weeds like dandelion or clover - preferably picked from a garden or somewhere you know hasn't been treated with weedkiller, etc. My hermanns *loves* dandelion!

You don't see many torts in pet shops in the UK (at least not where I am), where did you get her from?

Amyfranklin20

5 Year Member
ColinF87 said:
Don't worry too much about the lack of activity. It'll take her a couple of days to get used to her new home, then she'll be a bit more active. If she's not spending long under the light, it might be too warm for her - what temperature is her basking spot at? In terms of food, try some weeds like dandelion or clover - preferably picked from a garden or somewhere you know hasn't been treated with weedkiller, etc. My hermanns *loves* dandelion!

You don't see many torts in pet shops in the UK (at least not where I am), where did you get her from?

Thanks for your help!
I have noticed last night and this morning she is eating lots more! Which is quite good to see! She doesnt like being in water very much but i do still bath her for a couple mins every morning.

I live in Norwich (Norfolk) And i bought her from a place called 'Out of the Blue' In great yarmouth.

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
Welcome!

Pictures, we want pictures! :D (This could also help verify if you got a female.)

How old and/or big is she?

I'd give her time to settle in before trying to interact too much with her. Will she get an outdoor enlcosure?

Amyfranklin20

5 Year Member
1233565_10200453022953260_75763550_n.jpg1234098_10200460072569496_287240510_n.jpg1012520_10201819305034286_1710759702_n.jpgIve taken a few photos, so you can see her size and shell etc, as asked. Hopefully you can help identify 'her' gender!

And in response to the other questions, she is 2 im assuming (Pet shop didnt give me anything but 2011) And yes we are making her an outdoor run at the moment :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Amyfranklin20 said:
Ive taken a few photos, so you can see her size and shell etc, as asked. Hopefully you can help identify 'her' gender!

And in response to the other questions, she is 2 im assuming (Pet shop didnt give me anything but 2011) And yes we are making her an outdoor run at the moment :)

Too tiny to accurately tell the gender...wait until the shell at least 4" long. Feed as much quality food, in variety, and you'll be amazed at the growth. Might try growing cactus, so you can make sure it's part of the diet 2-3 days a week (lot's of calcium, to build strong bones/shell).

Fine lookin' lil' thing! :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.