Help Me with my Sri Lankan Star Hatchling!

Blessy

Location (City and/or State)
California
Hi all,

I recently purchased a Sri Lankan Star Hatchling from a reputable breeder three weeks ago. When I received it, its shell color was shiny, but now it is dull and faded. Please see the picture below and advise! Thank you.

Attachments

• C598BE0D-04C2-41E4-8B09-2CB3E5AD43DA.jpeg
    C598BE0D-04C2-41E4-8B09-2CB3E5AD43DA.jpeg
    228.7 KB · Views: 71

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
How are you keeping it? what type of enclosure? lights, heat, substrate? The more info we have, the better the responses can be.

He looks pretty dry to me. Have you been soaking him?

Golden Greek Tortoise 567

Colorado Springs,CO
Read this care sheet...

Blessy

California
We use cypress mulch and organic topsoil as substrate for the tortoise. We also use the ZooMed heat lamp (UVB and UVA) for about 6-7 hours. Additionally, we soak the tortoise everyday, but from the day we bought it, I don’t notice the turtle drinking water. Please see the attached image below of the tortoise’s enclosure. Thank you.

Attachments

• 063EE78B-CCCD-48A6-BCBE-6ADCFDF50A71.jpeg
    063EE78B-CCCD-48A6-BCBE-6ADCFDF50A71.jpeg
    882.6 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

Colorado Springs,CO
Organic topsoil is just a jumble of random grass and plants that can have poisonous pesticides in there. Keep the cypress mulch. Turn off that bulb it’s not good for torts. It burns their shells and dehydrates them. Replace it with a T5 fluorescent tube and a CHE bulb.

Blessy

California
Thank you. What soil do you recommend? We already checked with the breeder, and the organic topsoil and cypress mulch are fine. The breeder also recommended to use the ZooMed lightbulb for the hatchling. I also placed the light 12 inches above the ground.

Blessy

California
Read this care sheet...
Thank you so much for the link! I appreciate it.

Blessy

California
What kind of substrate should I use? Does mulch and sphagnum peat moss good? or coconut fiber?

Blessy

California

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Thank you. What soil do you recommend? We already checked with the breeder, and the organic topsoil and cypress mulch are fine. The breeder also recommended to use the ZooMed lightbulb for the hatchling. I also placed the light 12 inches above the ground.

The breeder's advice is incorrect. Makes you wonder what else said breeder is doing wrong including his or her breeding practices.

Organic topsoil is not safe. Cypress mulch is fine but not as good as the two top choices which is coco coir and orchid bark. Some people refuse to use cypress mulch because it stinks and the negative environmental impact it comes with buying and supporting the use of this product.

Purchase a regular incandescent flood styled bulb (not-pet branded) to use in your basking fixture. 65 watt is a good wattage to start with. You can get away with using a lower wattage bulb if you have a closed chamber enclosure.

You're most likely going to need an additional heating source at night which is also covered in the care sheet others have provided. Read the entire thing and follow it's guidelines. It should tell you at minimum 95% of everything you'll need to make your enclosure the safest it can be for your new hatchling.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What kind of substrate should I use? Does mulch and sphagnum peat moss good? or coconut fiber?
Peat moss is not good.

All of this info is in that care sheet. Give it a read, and then come back with all your questions. Most of what you'll ask is answered in the care sheet.

The tortoise looks like that because of the soil substrate. Soil stains them sometimes. Just one more reason to not use it. After you change the substrate, use a soft tooth brush to gently clean the shell during the next soak. If that doesn't get it off, you'll have to let it wear off in time.

Blessy

California
The breeder's advice is incorrect. Makes you wonder what else said breeder is doing wrong including his or her breeding practices.

Organic topsoil is not safe. Cypress mulch is fine but not as good as the two top choices which is coco coir and orchid bark. Some people refuse to use cypress mulch because it stinks and the negative environmental impact it comes with buying and supporting the use of this product.

Purchase a regular incandescent flood styled bulb (not-pet branded) to use in your basking fixture. 65 watt is a good wattage to start with. You can get away with using a lower wattage bulb if you have a closed chamber enclosure.

You're most likely going to need an additional heating source at night which is also covered in the care sheet others have provided. Read the entire thing and follow it's guidelines. It should tell you at minimum 95% of everything you'll need to make your enclosure the safest it can be for your new
Peat moss is not good.

All of this info is in that care sheet. Give it a read, and then come back with all your questions. Most of what you'll ask is answered in the care sheet.

The tortoise looks like that because of the soil substrate. Soil stains them sometimes. Just one more reason to not use it. After you change the substrate, use a soft tooth brush to gently clean the shell during the next soak. If that doesn't get it off, you'll have to let it wear off in time.
Thank you so much for your information! I'll change the substrate to coco fiber or orchid bark.

Blessy

California
Peat moss is not good.

I just want to confirm whether I should use small or medium orchid bark for the hatchling. Do I need to mix the orchid bark with other materials, or is orchid bark enough? May I also know what brand of orchard bark you recommend? Thank you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I just want to confirm whether I should use small or medium orchid bark for the hatchling. Do I need to mix the orchid bark with other materials, or is orchid bark enough? May I also know what brand of orchard bark you recommend? Thank you.
Fine grade orchid bark all by itself. Dampen it if needed. No other materials.

I get mine in bulk from local nurseries. What part of CA are you in? If Santa Clarita isn't too far, I've got a great source up here. $12 for 2.0 cubic ft. As opposed to $20 for a quarter of that in the pet store.
Orchid Bark.JPG

KT1

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Skokie
Hi all - I have a new baby leopard tort. I have been reading the forum for a bit...I thought I read on here that the "mosses" were good--is that from an outdated post? I just read Tom's care sheet (thank you!) and am going to make some changes. Is thre a link/diredtions you can supply for making a covered enclosure? Right now my little guy is in a big plastic stock tank.
Thanks so much!
Katie

Colorado Springs,CO
Hi all - I have a new baby leopard tort. I have been reading the forum for a bit...I thought I read on here that the "mosses" were good--is that from an outdated post? I just read Tom's care sheet (thank you!) and am going to make some changes. Is thre a link/diredtions you can supply for making a covered enclosure? Right now my little guy is in a big plastic stock tank.
Thanks so much!
Katie
Mosses are an impaction risk, I wouldn’t buy it.

Reactions: KT1

Blessy

California

I get mine in bulk from local nurseries. What part of CA are you in? If Santa Clarita isn't too far, I've got a great source up here. $12 for 2.0 cubic ft. As opposed to $20 for a quarter of that in the pet store.
View attachment 303945
Great! Thank you very much for the information and the picture! I will try to get the same orchid bark like yours. I am in Southern California.

Blessy

California

View attachment 303945
Sorry, is it an organic one? Should I get the organic bark for the tortoise? Thank you!