Help! (male bit other male's foot)

AngieMac

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Cape Town, South Africa
Hi there.
I'm new to the group and had a horrid incident this afternoon. My bigger male had one of the smaller ones foot in his mouth and he wouldn't let go! I had to put them in water and he let go fairly quickly afterwards. This has never happened in the past. I am keeping them separated now too. All my tortoises are rescues and to be honest I am not even sure what species they are. I am assuming they are Leopard Tortoises. I also have no idea how old they are.

20181013_160007.jpg

Bee62

Germany
Hi there.
I'm new to the group and had a horrid incident this afternoon. My bigger male had one of the smaller ones foot in his mouth and he wouldn't let go! I had to put them in water and he let go fairly quickly afterwards. This has never happened in the past. I am keeping them separated now too. All my tortoises are rescues and to be honest I am not even sure what species they are. I am assuming they are Leopard Tortoises. I also have no idea how old they are.
Hi and a very warm welcome to the forum. I hope the bitten one wasn`t hurt badly. What you saw is a normal tortoise behavior, - to fight for the best places and food and get rid of other tortoises around. Good you have seperated them now. How many tortoises do you own ?
Please feel free to upload pics of them all.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Chersina angulata - quite rare in the U. S. commonly called angulated tortoise.

Are these rescued tortoises? In the wild male tortoises have their own territories. If they're recently wild, then they still have a VERY strong instinct to chase other tortoises, especially male tortoises, out of their territory. They should be separated, and kept separated. They will never be able to live together.

Bee62

Germany
I've had the bigger one for almost 2 years and the other smaller one for almost a year. They come from people's gardens and are found walking in the streets.
Yes, I know and some hatch there and are found when they are still babies.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Definitly look like Angulata to me. And yes I agree with what Yvonne said. The males cannot be kept in the same space as other males. The females are more tolerant of being together but not the males. So my advice would be to separate all three males into their own enclosures. And unless you want little ones to start popping up I would also keep them separated from the females.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Definitly look like Angulata to me. And yes I agree with what Yvonne said. The males cannot be kept in the same space as other males. The females are more tolerant of being together but not the males. So my advice would be to separate all three makes into their own enclosures. And unless you want little ones to start popping up I would also keep them separated from the females.
Forgot to welcome you to the best forum ever. And Good luck with your rescues

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Aren't they really just wild tortoises that people are finding wondering in their yards and should just be left alone? Are there no laws there about taking from the wild?
I'm glad you found the forum. Can't really take proper care if you don't know the type of tortoise your caring for. As already state, males should not be housed together unless you were to have a very big yard, acre or more and lots of sight barriers, and then it should be left to those with more experience.

AngieMac

5 Year Member
Cape Town, South Africa
Hello and Welcome. Aren't they really just wild tortoises that people are finding wondering in their yards and should just be left alone? Are there no laws there about taking from the wild?
I'm glad you found the forum. Can't really take proper care if you don't know the type of tortoise your caring for. As already state, males should not be housed together unless you were to have a very big yard, acre or more and lots of sight barriers, and then it should be left to those with more experience.

They havent been removed from the wild, yes that is very illegal here and im sure everywhere else too. These guys come from people's gardens and they somehow manage to get out and are found walking the streets, they then get brought to me. We cant really leave them to walk the streets, they could get run over by cars and some African's actually eat them. I have searched the internet like crazy and not one image that comes up looks anything like the ones I have. After seeing a photo of the Chersina Angulata that someone posted, I know now what they are.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Thats exactly what happens. People find them randomly in their gardens. Thats how i got all of mine except for one.

Your initial post was a bit misleading. When I hear the term rescue I tend to picture potential owners dealing with animal shelters, organizations, and actual rescues to obtain their tortoises. They go through paperwork, visits, and the process that goes with it. Picking up a native tortoise from the region they belong to is not how I would picture using this term.

Have you ever considered applying for permits so that you can legally own these tortoises?

AngieMac

5 Year Member
Cape Town, South Africa
Your initial post was a bit misleading. When I hear the term rescue I tend to picture potential owners dealing with animal shelters, organizations, and actual rescues to obtain their tortoises. They go through paperwork, visits, and the process that goes with it. Picking up a native tortoise from the region they belong to is not how I would picture using this term.

Have you ever considered applying for permits so that you can legally own these tortoises?

Apologies for the "misleading" post. It's not as easy as you think to get a permit. To get to speak to the right people is so hard. I tried 2 years ago and it was a complete mission and eventually, I gave up. I actually need to try again. I have emailed Cape Nature and never received a response. It's really such a pain, but you are right, I need to get back on that mission.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Apologies for the "misleading" post. It's not as easy as you think to get a permit. To get to speak to the right people is so hard. I tried 2 years ago and it was a complete mission and eventually, I gave up. I actually need to try again. I have emailed Cape Nature and never received a response. It's really such a pain, but you are right, I need to get back on that mission.

Never suggested it was easy. I've had similar experiences with helping others pet proof their homes as well as prepare them for interview and care questions. I know the process of apply and obtaining permits can be a real drag.

AngieMac

5 Year Member
Cape Town, South Africa
Are you based in Cape Town? I could never think of handing them over to a nature conservation. They are such a huge part of my life and literally come to me when i call them. I love sitting outside with them on weekends, having my morning coffee with them while they have their breakfast. They are so tame and friendly. I really am trying my best to make sure they get the care they need and that they are happy.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

You don't understand how things are over there...

That's just not how it works.

AngieMac

5 Year Member
Cape Town, South Africa
You don't understand how things are over there...

That's just not how it works.

Actually, its exactly how things are over here. You do need a permit, its just really difficult to actually speak to someone who is able to offer you the correct information in order for you to acquire one.