Help identify tortoise breed

Vruizone

Location (City and/or State)
California
Hello!
I have been unable to find out the breed of this tortoise. I’ve tried searching and searching to find out, but I was unable to. When I took him to Petco they said it was a Russian Tortoise, I know it’s not due to the size and color. He eats worms, likes to explore, and likes to hangout in water from time to time. I attached 3 photos, I can take more if needed. Thank you!

IMG_3344.jpg
IMG_7144.jpg
IMG_7144.jpg

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
Wow, I cannot Believe that they told you that is a Russian Tortoise, that shop needs to be shut down!!

Now I don’t know what it is, but it’s obviously some kind of turtle which require complete different care to a Russian.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Hmmm I'm stumped on this one but definitely not a Russian. Where did you get this tortoise? Can you post pics of the top of the carapace and plastron. I'll send a shout out to some folks who can probably help you
@Yvonne G
@Will
@Markw84

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
This species not breed is a turtle not a tortoise. I believe it needs to be in water with a spot to get out of the water. I don't know what exact species it is though.
@Anthony P also might be able to help

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hello!
I have been unable to find out the breed of this tortoise. I’ve tried searching and searching to find out, but I was unable to. When I took him to Petco they said it was a Russian Tortoise, I know it’s not due to the size and color. He eats worms, likes to explore, and likes to hangout in water from time to time. I attached 3 photos, I can take more if needed. Thank you!

View attachment 242696
View attachment 242697
View attachment 242698
It's a Western Pond Turtle (Actinemys marmorata), and it's a protected species. NO ONE is allowed to have them.