Help ID this tortoise

Critta

Today is my birthday!
Location (City and/or State)
New Orleans
We found this tortoise today at my work in New Orleans, LA. We seem to think its a Sulcata and someone's pet. We put up fliers to find its owner but wanted to know if it is a sulcata or some other kind of tortoise. It's rather large.

Thanks image.jpgimage.jpg

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
That's a leopard tortoise . The care is like a sulcata tortoise . post pictures of him up . That's a lost pet . I would be sick if I lost my tortoise .

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Yep defiantly a lost leopard. Thanks for trying to find its owner.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That is someone's lost leopard tortoise. It is a gorgeous animal and someone is probably crying a river right now over this loss.

Please make every effort to find the owner. Put up flyers, call local vets, pet stores and animal control. Make the callers ID the tortoise and species. Don't put too much info on the flyers. Ask them to show you pics of their lost tortoise, if needed.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
We found this tortoise today at my work in New Orleans, LA. We seem to think its a Sulcata and someone's pet. We put up fliers to find its owner but wanted to know if it is a sulcata or some other kind of tortoise. It's rather large.

Thanks View attachment 139505View attachment 139506

Where do you work? Could someone have purposely left it to be found or do you work in a lush place?

Critta

Today is my birthday!
New Orleans
Where do you work? Could someone have purposely left it to be found or do you work in a lush place?
I work in a pretty large facility. It is very secure and entirely fenced in. The gates are only open 6am-6pm M-F otherwise you need an electronic card to get through the area. We're pretty sure he wandered in sometime early this morning and he was found about 9:30 in one of our fields around the building. I don't think anyone dropped him off though. There is a large area of residential neighborhoods around us as well as a large park and golf course. Maybe he got too big and someone dropped him off in the park and he made his way over here. So far no replies to the Craiglist found ad that was posted.

Critta

Today is my birthday!
New Orleans
So I haven't heard from anyone about the Craigslist ad I posted. I've got him in my backyard and I've tried feeding him Friday, Saturday and today. When I brought him home on Friday he must've pooped about a dozen times in the container he was in throughout the day. It was all grass from what I could tell. So I assume he'll do fine eating the grass in my yard. I read up on some care sheets and I've tried to feed it what they said was appropriate. I've tried collard greens, a bell pepper, parsley, hibiscus leaves and even went and bought a small succulent from South Africa at Home Depot to try the leaves from that. He wouldn't eat anything. I just want to make sure he won't starve or anything if he's not eating anything I put out for him. I've soaked him about 15 minutes yesterday and today. He seems to be making his way around the yard and hiding in the shade each day. So other than not seeing him eat anything he seems to be doing fine. Is there anything else I should do to get him to try and eat or just leave him be?
Also, I'm pretty sure it a male since the bottom of his shell is really concave. I thought he was deformed or something but from what I read he's probably a male?

Thanks

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
From his shell shape it appears to be male, but a shot of his plastron (bottom part of the shell) and tail area will confirm.

About him not eating: Adult tortoises don't handle new environments as well as younger tortoises, and they usually respond by not eating normally. He may also not recognize some of the items you are offering as food, as in, his owners may have only fed him certain types of food and he became accustomed to that and will refuse anything else. They can go for long periods of time without eating, but I wouldn't give up trying new foods. Try everything and anything you can think of until something works. If you're keeping him full time outside in your lawn, he will should to graze on the grass once he feels more comfortable. Do you fertilize your lawn or treat it with pesticide?

I do hope you are able to locate its owner.

Critta

Today is my birthday!
New Orleans
Update: I went out in the yard this evening and he was munching away on the grasses behind my garage. So he is at least eating now. The yard hasn't been fertilized or treated with insecticide/pesticide or weed killer before. Here is a pic of the plastron.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 48

Alaskamike

South Florida
I hope now that you've decided to keep him, you will keep this thread going and post an update now and then. This tort sparked allot of interest (and some interesting exchanges in the "adoption" thread) Large adult Leopards are not as common as some of the others, and he seems a very healthy active one. I would be interested to know his plastron length and weight.

He is certainly not as big as he will get yet. Though they slow down growth as they age, they seem to never really stop growing.

I look forward to the saga as he becomes a member of the family. :)