Help ID native weeds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Republic O' Tejas
These are plants I've found growing on our property that Jennifer shows an interest in...TOTALLY clueless as to whether they're safe to feed her, so any help will be GREATLY appreciated!

e3267749-b135-42c7-acb5-e0680680b075

plant - 1

3262c22d-67d6-4c2d-b283-53e32fed1b7b

plant - 2

89639d3c-54f2-475f-ba92-acbfb497ac91

plant - 3

2c6378e6-c1b5-42d8-b62c-701c91c63bd6

plant - 4

fd82afb1-51ff-46f6-9e71-f17559bb99c3

plant - 5

14d8565c-6493-4ac0-94e1-24e2d49affa5

plant - 6

fcf97061-1ad5-41a0-a3ae-e8f6453e6316

plant - 7

a78793bd-f57c-4134-b688-5b3ba78c9778

plant - 8

Thanks in advance! :cool:

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Particularily curious about #7, as that's the one she makes a bee-line for everytime...thought it might be milk-weed, as it oozes a milky-white sap (pretty sticky, too), but this plant doesn't look much like the picture of milk-weed I found...maybe some kind of nettle?

She ate quite a bit of one of these plants a few days ago, and seems none the worse for the experience, but I'm wanting to know exactly what these plants are, so as to only plant "safe" plants in her enclosure.

Again, thanks for any help my fellow tortoisistas can share.

mightyclyde

5 Year Member
California
Leopold loves to eat the #7 plant too ~ it tooks just like the California weed we call Milkweed. If you snap the stalk, it bleeds a milky white substance. He only eats the leaves, though.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
mightyclyde said:
Leopold loves to eat the #7 plant too ~ it tooks just like the California weed we call Milkweed. If you snap the stalk, it bleeds a milky white substance. He only eats the leaves, though.

Thanks...here's a Google pic of milkweed:

stem.jpg

Seems to have a very differently shaped leaf than what grows on our property, though, so I'm wondering if it might be some sort of nettle...truly, I have no idea!

Edit - nope, not a nettle, either...

stinging_nettle_plant02.jpg

Hopefully, someone will come along who knows, though.

Again, thanks for sharing that it's likely safe, whatever it's called.

mightyclyde

5 Year Member
California
Thats not Milkweed! Seriously, I've never even seen that plant from Google... looks almost like a small tree or shrub, not weedy at all. Ahh well, who can argue with Google? Good luck in your search for identities.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
mightyclyde said:
Thats not Milkweed! Seriously, I've never even seen that plant from Google... looks almost like a small tree or shrub, not weedy at all. Ahh well, who can argue with Google? Good luck in your search for identities.

Kinda surprised, too...until I looked into this matter, I've, for 50 or so years, thought that Mystery Plant #7 was mlkweed, too...

Ya live and ya earn! :cool:

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
t_mclellan said:
I think #7 is "Milk Thistle" or similar.

But I am also "Horticulturaly CHALLENGED!

Yeah, I'm thinking that you've nailed it...looks a great deal like what Google shows! :cool:

EDIT: Seems Mystery Plant #7 is Sow Thistle, so you were plenty close enough!

1 down, 6 to go! :p

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Based on local weeds here in New York State: #4 looks like a type of burdock plant; #7 looks like smooth leaf thistle, #8 looks like a black medic (a type of clover).

The Google photo of milkweed that you posted is in fact milkweed.

Can't help you with the rest but maybe my general names above will point you to some photos on the net that can identify yours.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
GBtortoises said:
Based on local weeds here in New York State: #4 looks like a type of burdock plant; #7 looks like smooth leaf thistle, #8 looks like a black medic (a type of clover).

The Google photo of milkweed that you posted is in fact milkweed.

Can't help you with the rest but maybe my general names above will point you to some photos on the net that can identify yours.

Thanks, will study up on those! :cool:

After closer study, I'm now thinking Mystery Plants #3 and #7 are the same Mystery plant...

S

stells

3 is smooth sowthistle...edible...

Another gap filled... you look have some weird plants that really test me... lol

TortieGal

5 Year Member
Oregon
Terry check out the info at the top of the food and diet section above these threads. Oxalis or Clover - what's in your garden? It looks like number eight is Oxalis to me. Not good to eat.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
TortieGal said:
Terry check out the info at the top of the food and diet section above these threads. Oxalis or Clover - what's in your garden? It looks like number eight is Oxalis to me. Not good to eat.

Thanx for the heads up...I'll not allow her any of that until I've verified what it is. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.