HELP I have to wake them!

Whizzer

Location (City and/or State)
Scottsdale Arizona
Hi all. I live in the Sonoran Desert. My outdoor box turtles brumate from about mid October until mid April. I am moving in early March and will have to wake them and relocate them. WHat is the best way to do this? Will they go back into brumation?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome,
There are a lot of people here who can help you with this - I'm not one of them - but don't panic you're in good hands.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Get your box or boxes set up with dried leaves. No need to wake up the turtles. Just pick each one up and bury it in the leaves in the box. Keep the box in a cold, quiet place. Once the weather warms up to be consistently in the 50's they'll start waking up on their own. . . but I must warn you, my box turtles have started to wake up here in Central Calif.

Whizzer

Scottsdale Arizona
Get your box or boxes set up with dried leaves. No need to wake up the turtles. Just pick each one up and bury it in the leaves in the box. Keep the box in a cold, quiet place. Once the weather warms up to be consistently in the 50's they'll start waking up on their own. . . but I must warn you, my box turtles have started to wake up here in Central Calif.
THank you. So I shouldn't put them back outside at the new enclosure? I'd be thrilled if they started to wake up now, then I wouldn't worry about waking them.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, just leave them boxed up until they wake up on their own.