HELP: Hatchling Failure Syndrome Baby Sulcata?

LaceDawg9

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Hi there all

I was hoping I would never have to write a post like this, but I am not sure what else to do.

I got Joker, my little sulcata tortoise, back in May at a reptile expo. The woman who sold her to us had her on consignment from a friend and told us the tortoise was roughly 3 months old. I loved her immediately due to her light shell color and split scute. I thought it made her unique, and I love that quality in all things.

She was eating well and “running” around supervised outside. She would go probably 30/40ft all around the flower beds before getting tired. She was eating a diet of Mazuri pellet food, mixed greens, various weeds, some grasses that her little mouth could bite through, and some occasional vegetables as treats. She also really enjoyed eating a few bites of banana once in a while as a small treat. Her food was dusted with calcium powder w/out vitamin d once a week. She has a UVB bulb, but i do not use it much as I take her outside for 15-30 mins every other day.

About a week and a half ago, I picked her up and noticed the sides of her shell felt soft. Not pliable, but spongelike. She was still moving and eating good so I didn’t think much of it and decided to give her the calcium powder twice a week. About 4 days later, I noticed that it was very very soft. She started becoming more lethargic. She used to get a burst of energy for about 2 hours from 9-11am and again from 5-7pm. She also used to eat for about 30 mins before falling asleep.

She is being housed in a 4x2 tub which is covered half way to keep in humidity. The heated side has a basking temp of 90-95 degrees, and the covered side is 80 degrees and stays at least 80% humidity. At night the temps stay around 80. Her substrate is a mix of coconut coir and cypress mulch.

She was getting soaked every morning for 20 mins and would “stomp” and try to climb out of the bowl.

In the last week, she has to be physically woken up in order to open her eyes. She isn’t moving during her soaks as much, and isn’t eating very much. She takes about 7 steps before wanting to fall asleep. Her shell is soft on the sides and the top sides of her shell has a blue tint. Like the scutes are getting transparent maybe? And you can see some sort of blue color coming up through the scutes? Hard to explain. She also hasn’t seemed to gain any weight. When I got her, she was supposedly 3 months old and weighed roughly 1oz. (I don’t have a gram scale and used an old spring style kitchen scale). She is now 4ish months old and weighs almost 1.5oz. It’s hard to tell on the scale I have and I will be getting a new digital one in the next day or two. Either way, it seems that her weight is way too low for her age.

From what I have read, she seems to have every symptom of Hatchling Failure Syndrome. I have a feeling that the people I bought her from did not house her correctly…they advised feeding hay as a main staple… I didn’t learn until later that most baby tortoises won’t/can’t eat it until they are older. Thinking back on it now, it seems like hay was one of the only foods the ladies had in the enclosure they were being showed off in at the expo.

I have been giving her two soaks a day for the last 5 days (for 15-20mins at a time) in a mix of water, unflavored pedialyte, and carrot baby food. I’ve read elsewhere on the forum that this could help.

In the last 4 days, it doesn’t seem that her condition has improved or gotten worse…has seemed to stay stagnant. I am at a loss of what to do. I love this little tort so much and I hate to see her suffer. She is still eating, but it’s not very much. Maybe half of a wet Mazuri pellet and a bite of a weed. She poops only in her enclosure (never has in water during her soaks) and only poops like twice a week.

I would hate to put her down or something if she could pull through, but it is also so hard emotionally to keep taking care of her if she isn’t going to get any better. I don’t want this to be like a situation where I’m keeping her on “oxygen” like for humans. Where their body is being kept alive, but they will never have a good quality of life.

I just don’t know what to do. If anyone has any advice on what I could do please let me know. Sorry for the long post but I wanted to give as much info as possible. I’m including a picture of her to try to show her shell. The discoloration is hard to see on the phone, but I tried to circle it.The picture in my hand is from before I noticed her symptoms, but it shows her size.B2640B6E-EF6F-4B5B-96CE-7CA3801F6D9C.jpeg2F3DA4F2-CFAA-469E-BDCD-13B267BA58DE.jpeg

Meganf

Tampa, Florida
Have you taken her to a reptile vet yet? I am new to tortoise care, and I don’t know much about the hatchling failure syndrome, but the symptoms your tort has is a little similar to my tort and he was diagnosed with herpes.

LaceDawg9

Texas
Have you taken her to a reptile vet yet? I am new to tortoise care, and I don’t know much about the hatchling failure syndrome, but the symptoms your tort has is a little similar to my tort and he was diagnosed with herpes.
Hey Meganf

She does not appear to have the symptoms of herpes at least from the research I have done. She doesn’t have uncoordinated movements and has not been drooling or develop any white stuff around her mouth.

I have not taken her to the vet because from what I have read on this forum, if it is Hatchling Failure Syndrome, the vet cannot really help.

LaceDawg9

Texas
Update this morning: she seemed more alert in her soak and moved around more, but refused has refused to eat.

Meganf

Tampa, Florida
Hey Meganf

She does not appear to have the symptoms of herpes at least from the research I have done. She doesn’t have uncoordinated movements and has not been drooling or develop any white stuff around her mouth.

I have not taken her to the vet because from what I have read on this forum, if it is Hatchling Failure Syndrome, the vet cannot really help.
Yea, mine doesn’t have those symptoms either and I was very surprised to hear the lab results.
Regardless of the cause, having a sick tortoise is incredibly difficult and emotionally draining. I’m going through it right now and I am so sorry that you and your tort are going through it too. I hope you’ll get answers from others who are more experienced than I am.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Some minor tips that probably won't affect the outcome:
1. They should never be fed fruit.
2. The whole top should be covered. You need a closed chamber.
3. Soaks should be 30-40 minutes.
4. They should never be roaming loose indoors or out. They need a safe dedicated enclosure that is designed and built for them. That is a recipe for one of several disasters.

Unfortunately, if the baby was started incorrectly by the breeder and then fed and housed incorrectly by the seller, you cannot undo the damage that has been done. This baby's fate was sealed before you got it. Learn from this and buy from the right source next time.

Reactions: Ink

LaceDawg9

Texas
Some minor tips that probably won't affect the outcome:
1. They should never be fed fruit.
2. The whole top should be covered. You need a closed chamber.
3. Soaks should be 30-40 minutes.
4. They should never be roaming loose indoors or out. They need a safe dedicated enclosure that is designed and built for them. That is a recipe for one of several disasters.

Unfortunately, if the baby was started incorrectly by the breeder and then fed and housed incorrectly by the seller, you cannot undo the damage that has been done. This baby's fate was sealed before you got it. Learn from this and buy from the right source next time.
Hi there Tom. Thank you for taking time out of your day to reply.

I was in the process of saving up money for a closed chamber and was trying to make due with what I had until then. And in the last week I created a outdoor space for her. She hasn’t moved much to explore it though.

So do you think it’s most likely hatchling failure syndrome then? If so, what are the odds of her making it?

LaceDawg9

Texas
Yea, mine doesn’t have those symptoms either and I was very surprised to hear the lab results.
Regardless of the cause, having a sick tortoise is incredibly difficult and emotionally draining. I’m going through it right now and I am so sorry that you and your tort are going through it too. I hope you’ll get answers from others who are more experienced than I am.
Thanks

I’m so sorry to her about you and your torts situation as well. It is very emotionally draining to watch something you love fade away. I wish you and your tort the best.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi there Tom. Thank you for taking time out of your day to reply.

I was in the process of saving up money for a closed chamber and was trying to make due with what I had until then. And in the last week I created a outdoor space for her. She hasn’t moved much to explore it though.

So do you think it’s most likely hatchling failure syndrome then? If so, what are the odds of her making it?
With what you describe, survival is unlikely. I'm trying to get the word out and stop this senseless suffering, but many breeders simply don't see the end result that you are currently witnessing first hand because it happens weeks or months after the sale. They want to blame it on the buyer because the baby was "fine" while it was with them. They don't understand what they are doing.

LaceDawg9

Texas
With what you describe, survival is unlikely. I'm trying to get the word out and stop this senseless suffering, but many breeders simply don't see the end result that you are currently witnessing first hand because it happens weeks or months after the sale. They want to blame it on the buyer because the baby was "fine" while it was with them. They don't understand what they are doing.
It is such a shame that these breeders don’t understand the best way to care for their babies. It sets up not only the animal, the the buyer for a lot of potential heart ache. I appreciate your knowledge and feedback. It’s so sad because in just the month and a half that I have had her, I have gotten very attached to this little tort. This experience definitely taught me a lot, and if she passes I will get another one. Next time around I would probably get one that is at least one year old.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It is such a shame that these breeders don’t understand the best way to care for their babies. It sets up not only the animal, the the buyer for a lot of potential heart ache. I appreciate your knowledge and feedback. It’s so sad because in just the month and a half that I have had her, I have gotten very attached to this little tort. This experience definitely taught me a lot, and if she passes I will get another one. Next time around I would probably get one that is at least one year old.
You don't need an older one. You just need one that was started correctly from the correct breeder. Few people hang on to them for a whole year.

zovick

10 Year Member!
You might be best off getting the youngest one that a good breeder will sell you. I would say around 20-30 days old or so would be a safe bet. That way, you can start the baby off correctly yourself and get better results.

I sold some of my baby Radiated Tortoises to other experienced keepers of the species right after they started eating on their own, at roughly 2-7 days of age. Obviously, I would not sell that young a baby to a novice keeper, but once they are eating and pooping, they are really good to go to a new home.

Tom is correct in saying that very few if any good breeders hold back their tortoises for a year before selling them. Buying a yearling could set you up for getting another problematic tortoise from someone who bought a baby and has lost interest and neglected it for months before deciding to let it go.

Last edited:

LaceDawg9

Texas
You don't need an older one. You just need one that was started correctly from the correct breeder. Few people hang on to them for a whole year.
That’s true. Now I will at least know what to look for.

LaceDawg9

Texas
You might be best off getting the youngest one that a good breeder will sell you. I would say around 20-30 days old or so would be a safe bet. That way, you can start the baby off correctly yourself and get better results.

I sold some of my baby Radiated Tortoises to other experienced keepers of the species right after they started eating on their own, at roughly 2-7 days of age. Obviously, I would not sell that young a baby to a novice keeper, but once they are eating and pooping, they are really good to go to a new home.

Tom is correct in saying that very few if any good breeders hold back their tortoises for a year before selling them. Buying a yearling could set you up for getting another problematic tortoise from someone who bought a baby and has lost interest and neglected it for months before deciding to let it go.
Thank you for your insight! Those are very good points.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi there all

I was hoping I would never have to write a post like this, but I am not sure what else to do.

I got Joker, my little sulcata tortoise, back in May at a reptile expo. The woman who sold her to us had her on consignment from a friend and told us the tortoise was roughly 3 months old. I loved her immediately due to her light shell color and split scute. I thought it made her unique, and I love that quality in all things.

She was eating well and “running” around supervised outside. She would go probably 30/40ft all around the flower beds before getting tired. She was eating a diet of Mazuri pellet food, mixed greens, various weeds, some grasses that her little mouth could bite through, and some occasional vegetables as treats. She also really enjoyed eating a few bites of banana once in a while as a small treat. Her food was dusted with calcium powder w/out vitamin d once a week. She has a UVB bulb, but i do not use it much as I take her outside for 15-30 mins every other day.

About a week and a half ago, I picked her up and noticed the sides of her shell felt soft. Not pliable, but spongelike. She was still moving and eating good so I didn’t think much of it and decided to give her the calcium powder twice a week. About 4 days later, I noticed that it was very very soft. She started becoming more lethargic. She used to get a burst of energy for about 2 hours from 9-11am and again from 5-7pm. She also used to eat for about 30 mins before falling asleep.

She is being housed in a 4x2 tub which is covered half way to keep in humidity. The heated side has a basking temp of 90-95 degrees, and the covered side is 80 degrees and stays at least 80% humidity. At night the temps stay around 80. Her substrate is a mix of coconut coir and cypress mulch.

She was getting soaked every morning for 20 mins and would “stomp” and try to climb out of the bowl.

In the last week, she has to be physically woken up in order to open her eyes. She isn’t moving during her soaks as much, and isn’t eating very much. She takes about 7 steps before wanting to fall asleep. Her shell is soft on the sides and the top sides of her shell has a blue tint. Like the scutes are getting transparent maybe? And you can see some sort of blue color coming up through the scutes? Hard to explain. She also hasn’t seemed to gain any weight. When I got her, she was supposedly 3 months old and weighed roughly 1oz. (I don’t have a gram scale and used an old spring style kitchen scale). She is now 4ish months old and weighs almost 1.5oz. It’s hard to tell on the scale I have and I will be getting a new digital one in the next day or two. Either way, it seems that her weight is way too low for her age.

From what I have read, she seems to have every symptom of Hatchling Failure Syndrome. I have a feeling that the people I bought her from did not house her correctly…they advised feeding hay as a main staple… I didn’t learn until later that most baby tortoises won’t/can’t eat it until they are older. Thinking back on it now, it seems like hay was one of the only foods the ladies had in the enclosure they were being showed off in at the expo.

I have been giving her two soaks a day for the last 5 days (for 15-20mins at a time) in a mix of water, unflavored pedialyte, and carrot baby food. I’ve read elsewhere on the forum that this could help.

In the last 4 days, it doesn’t seem that her condition has improved or gotten worse…has seemed to stay stagnant. I am at a loss of what to do. I love this little tort so much and I hate to see her suffer. She is still eating, but it’s not very much. Maybe half of a wet Mazuri pellet and a bite of a weed. She poops only in her enclosure (never has in water during her soaks) and only poops like twice a week.

I would hate to put her down or something if she could pull through, but it is also so hard emotionally to keep taking care of her if she isn’t going to get any better. I don’t want this to be like a situation where I’m keeping her on “oxygen” like for humans. Where their body is being kept alive, but they will never have a good quality of life.

I just don’t know what to do. If anyone has any advice on what I could do please let me know. Sorry for the long post but I wanted to give as much info as possible. I’m including a picture of her to try to show her shell. The discoloration is hard to see on the phone, but I tried to circle it.The picture in my hand is from before I noticed her symptoms, but it shows her size.View attachment 348454View attachment 348457
I am very sorry about your little tortoise. I do understand how you are feeling. Just a thought. Are you certain the garden beds had nothing like fertilizer or pesticides mixed up in them that she may have ingested or been affected by? If by any chance it may be a possibility?

My tortoise

Spokane WA
Hi there all

I just don’t know what to do. If anyone has any advice on what I could do please let me know. Sorry for the long post but I wanted to give as much info as possible. I’m including a picture of her to try to show her shell. The discoloration is hard to see on the phone, but I tried to circle it.The picture in my hand is from before I noticed her symptoms, but it shows her size.View attachment 348454View attachment 348457
I ran a reptile rescue for 20yrs. Most always soft shell indicates metabolic disease. Typically this happens with inadequate UVB light and or too cool temps in enclosure and not assimulating calicium, because it was purchased from a reptile show, it may also have parasite overload. I would put her back under your lights, each day for entire day until she perks up. if she has quit eating it may be that she ingested something from out in the yard. could be lodged in her throat or else where. I know a vet bill is not cheap but seeing one may be this torts best change to survive.

My tortoise

Spokane WA
Hi there all

It appears to be a metabolic problem. Not assimulating enough calcium. needs to be under the reptile light all day. dont let babies out to roam and eat whatever. their systems are not designed to disgest some plant material. Follow the diet for sulcatas. She may have ingested something that is lodged in her throat. BUT after 20yrs as a reptile rescue, it appears metabolic in sufficiency.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I ran a reptile rescue for 20yrs. Most always soft shell indicates metabolic disease. Typically this happens with inadequate UVB light and or too cool temps in enclosure and not assimulating calicium, because it was purchased from a reptile show, it may also have parasite overload. I would put her back under your lights, each day for entire day until she perks up. if she has quit eating it may be that she ingested something from out in the yard. could be lodged in her throat or else where. I know a vet bill is not cheap but seeing one may be this torts best change to survive.
Are you aware of the advances in tortoise care that we've been talking about on this forum for over a decade as far as starting babies correctly? Are you aware that all of us were taught the wrong things about tortoise care and we've been parroting the same wrong info for decades?

Many vets also make the same incorrect diagnosis in cases like this and prescribe calcium injections and lots of UV. The problem is not MBD in a little baby like this. The problem is that an incorrect dry start killed this baby's kidneys, and if too much damage was done in its first few days and weeks, no one and nothing can save it. The symptoms are always the same and the lack of grow despite eating a ton is a tell tale sign. More explanation here:

This thread will explain a lot, and your comments or questions are welcome.

While you are at it, read this one too for the correct updated care info:

LaceDawg9

Texas
Hi all

Thank you so much for taking time out of your day to reply.

She has been supervised outside every week for at least 15 minutes every other day. (Total of 1-2 hours a week). Our flower beds have no fertilizer and we have planted safe weeds for her to eat. She has been eating and pooping (though not pooping regularly) so I don’t think she has anything lodged. She was eating a lot a few weeks ago and has failed to put on much weight.

Thanks for spreading updated info Tom! I would hate for anyone else to go through this when it could be prevented!