Help - Found Turtle in Backyard

Status
Not open for further replies.

RubyTango

5 Year Member
I am in need of some help. Yesterday while I was at work, my boyfriend found our dog, a 40lb pointer mix in the backyard barking and chewing on something. He was familiar with what she was doing, trying to kill, but was unsure what her target was. When he got closer, he realized she had a turtle in her mouth. :tort: The was much different than her usual bunny, bird, etc.

Here is a picture: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/641/cimg0495t.jpg/

It has a red stripe on both sides of its head. It has bright green eyes and a black streak through the eye

We live in Central IL and not anywhere near a body of water. I have lived in IL my whole live and have never had a turtle in my backyard. Now, I am also a Russian Desert Tortoise owner for over five years, so he knew that he should save the turtle. When I got home from work, I checked the turtle out and he seemed unharmed by our dog. To me, though, this turtle does not seem like it looks like a native IL species. My bf wanted to take it to a local pond and set it free, but I'm not sure if that's the right thing to do.

If anyone could let me know what type of turtle/tortoise it might be and options for what to do with it, I would greatly appreciate it!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Looks like a RES (red eared slider) to me. First question is... do you have any nearby neighbors that it may have escaped from?

austinl01

5 Year Member
Little Rock, AR
It is a water turtle, probably a RES. Get it in some water and feed it some cooked chicken and dandelion leaves for a snack.

See if your neighbors have a koi pond. If not, maybe he came from a stream. I think they are native to IL.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Yup...a red ear slider...and a very dry and dirty one at that :)

She needs water in that pool and something to crawl up onto to get some sun and drying time in the center of the pool...but not too much water as to not boost her up too close to the top for her to get out and go visit your dog again....LOL

Illinois is their actual native range (except the northern most part)...I would say he can go into a pond or lake that would allow her some hiding and mud to muck about in....

maybe take a drive about and see if there is a small pond or lake relative to where you are....also maybe check with your neighbors to see if any have a yard pond she could have been lost from??????

RubyTango

5 Year Member
Thanks for all the help! I posted a picture on facebook and a good friend of mine let me know it was a RES. She had one when she was a child that escaped. Haha!

There is a pond/lake that is less than a half mile from my house, so I took him/her there and set him/her free. I am sure my neighbors don't have a pond in the backyard that it could've escaped from. It is a mystery how it got into my fenced in yard, but I have faith it is happy now. It seemed to know just what to do once I put it on the shore of the pond.

LindaF

5 Year Member
I got so excited when I saw your post. I lost a RES last week. However, I don't think he was able to find his way to IL from TX. Look for signs in your neighborhood and other lost and found classified ads . That is what I did. I still haven't given up hope, but it seems hopeless

Turtle Guru

5 Year Member
WV
it is a red eared slider and do not let it go because if there is no local body of water around then it is someons pet becaue they can not survive long with out water because they get very stress and hve panic attacks. So if i was you i would put fliers up about a missing turtle and see if anyone can idenify it. If not I would keep it or give it to someone cares for aquatic turtles because i really doubt that is a wild turtle just for the simple fact you said ther is no water around your house well good luck and keep us posted. I hope i was help also. :D

Sorry seen recent post well that was a good decsion to well i would say he/she thanks you for putting it into a lake i hope it does well

Status
Not open for further replies.