Help, please. Found turtle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cathy L

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Coast of California
My friend found this turtle(?) in her backyard. Does anyone know what kind it is? Is it wild or someone's pet?

Attachments

• IMG00839-20110329-1638.jpg
    IMG00839-20110329-1638.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 45

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
It's a red-eared slider, an aquatic turtle found in N. America. It's more than likely wild, just let it go in a pond or creek.

-Matt

Can you post a picture with a head shot? It would help me confirm that it's a red-eared slider. It's still possible that it could be a cooter of some kind as well.

-Matt

Cathy L

5 Year Member
matt41gb said:
It's a red-eared slider, an aquatic turtle found in N. America. It's more than likely wild, just let it go in a pond or creek.

-Matt

Can you post a picture with a head shot? It would help me confirm that it's a red-eared slider. It's still possible that it could be a cooter of some kind as well.

-Matt

He did finally poke his head out and it is a red-eared slider. But she doesn't really live near water. Could it be a pond pet?

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
Cathy L said:
matt41gb said:

-Matt

-Matt

He did finally poke his head out and it is a red-eared slider. But she doesn't really live near water. Could it be a pond pet?

Yes, they are commonly kept in backyard ponds. I have several.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
matt41gb said:

-Matt

-Matt

NO!!

Its against the law in California to release red ear sliders into native waterways. It is someone's escaped pet. Even if it has been living in the wild most of its life, its still illegal to let it go. Find a rescue and turn it over, or give it to the SPCA.

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
emysemys said:
matt41gb said:

-Matt

-Matt

NO!!

Its against the law in California to release red ear sliders into native waterways. It is someone's escaped pet. Even if it has been living in the wild most of its life, its still illegal to let it go. Find a rescue and turn it over, or give it to the SPCA.

I didn't realize it was in California at first.

-Matt

Cathy L

5 Year Member
Thanks! I called her and told her to post signs and she also posted on Craig's List. If she doesn't hear from anyone in the next day or two she will take it to a rescue place. What should she do in the meantime. I told her to keep him moist. Should she bring him inside at night?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Can she put it into a large plastic tub? It only needs enough water to cover the shell. Since its been outside, there's no need to bring it in. It was probably looking for a good place to lay eggs. They sometimes wander quite a ways away from their water to find a good site. And on the other side of the coin, males will wander quite a ways from their water to find a suitable female for mating.

Status
Not open for further replies.