Help! (dog had stroke??)

Donna/Turbo

Location (City and/or State)
Banner Elk, NC
I am taking my Golden Retriever to the vet right now. She has lost control of the right side of her face. She is drooling and can not blink her right eye. I wanted to post this real quick so that by the time I get to the vet I might have some feed back. She is a rescue we found about 6 years ago. She is estimated to be around 9 years old. She is eating and acting normal other than food falling out of the right side and maybe a little restless. Thanks Donna

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
My first thought would be perhaps a mild stroke. No way anything could have hit her or she run into such as a wall?

Wishing you both good news at the Vet's. Keep us updated. *hugs*

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Me too- sounds like a stroke. But if it's small, it could be easily survivable.
Sending good wishes your way!!

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
It does sound like a stroke. BUT, I see you live in Florida, so there's also a chance she may have been bitten by something. One of my Labrador's was bitten to what my vet concluded was a spider bite a few years ago. Her eye was swollen shut for two weeks. Best wishes for you and your baby girl.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
*hugs* stay strong and keep positive thoughts going. I hope I am right on this, but I think it will end up okay. Maybe not perfect or a good as we might like, but okay and something that can be dealt with or worked with. She is walking and otherwise normal it seems except that side of her face. That gives me a lot of hope.

A bite is another possibility as said.

We are here for you and sendingpositive thoughts out to you.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
If only her face is involved, and not her legs that is a good sign. Something like a Bell's palsy maybe. Or a spider bite maybe. Good luck and keep us posted.

Donna/Turbo

Banner Elk, NC
Ok I just picked Chelsea up from the Vets Office. She has been diagnosed with Horner's Syndrome. This is the same as Bell's Palsy Syndrome in people. It is the same affects as a stoke, however it is not normally permanent. They said that as long as she is eating, no vomiting, and no seizures for the next 16 weeks then she should be fine. Really good news! She just looks like one side of her face is melting. Here is a picture of her not long ago.

20150203_171915.jpg

Thank you everyone for your support. It is just me and my dogs and turbo, so now it is like I have an extended family with all of you!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Wonderful news! Give her a couple of long stroking pats for me.

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
I am glad your dog was diagnosed and you know what is going on with her.
I lost my dog last year when he showed the facial charateristics of Masticatory Myostois. Unfortunately, it usually means that there is something else with the dog. We had 3 months with him before the serious effects occured. We made him a short bucket list !
Give your dog special hugs. They are just like children & dont really understand what changed with their body.

Donna/Turbo

Banner Elk, NC
I am glad your dog was diagnosed and you know what is going on with her.
I lost my dog last year when he showed the facial charateristics of Masticatory Myostois. Unfortunately, it usually means that there is something else with the dog. We had 3 months with him before the serious effects occured. We made him a short bucket list !
Give your dog special hugs. They are just like children & dont really understand what changed with their body.

ahhh...thank you. That made me tear up. I have always rescued dogs and I swore I am not going to have anymore once these are gone. But I still don't want anything to happen to them or ever have them suffer. I have had so many over the years and it is always so hard to let go. I lucked out this time, but I realize they are getting up there in age and I need to be ready. Thanks again!

Donna/Turbo

Banner Elk, NC
Great news, indeed, Donna.
My dog is 15 years old and stories like that scare the crap out of me.

I was sure it was a stroke just like everyone else. However it turns out that strokes are not as common as we think in dogs. Not as common as people. Some of the biggest signs of something bad is not eating and/or vomiting and seizure. As long as they don't have any of those three things, they are doing pretty good. I have always had large rescue dogs that rarely make it to 10. I have only had one die in my arms. He had stomach cancer. All the others I had to put down. A reptile lives a longer life and is still a great companion, but there is nothing like a dog.