Help Deciding Which Tortoise

AMA904

I'm looking for some help on deciding which tortoise might be best for me & my family. We are looking for something that will stay small and can live inside most of the time in a tortoise table. My preliminary research leads me to Hermann's or Greek. I'm open to other suggestions though if something else might be a better fit. I'd like something with a little personality, stays small, and is going to thrive living indoors most of the time. Please help :)

kmartin

Location (City and/or State)
central Florida
Didn't I see that you are here in Florida?
My Hermann's lives outside the majority of the year. I only bring him in when it's freezing cold outside! Maybe 1 week out of the year. He will follow me around the yard whenever I'm outside, he will follow me onto the porch but never shows any desire to come inside. The nice thing about Hermanns is that they seem to genuinely like people and they do stay small if you want to build a habitat inside. But they are athletic little things that seem to run around most of the day.

AMA904

Didn't I see that you are here in Florida?
My Hermann's lives outside the majority of the year. I only bring him in when it's freezing cold outside! Maybe 1 week out of the year. He will follow me around the yard whenever I'm outside, he will follow me onto the porch but never shows any desire to come inside. The nice thing about Hermanns is that they seem to genuinely like people and they do stay small if you want to build a habitat inside. But they are athletic little things that seem to run around most of the day.

I'm in Jacksonville. I have a yellow lab also so for the time being the main living will be inside. I had two Hermann's a long time ago and I recall them having a pretty good personality. Do you know how the personalities compare with Greeks?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The Hermmans and Greeks are good beginner tortoises and so are the Russians. However, they should not be housed inside more then outside. Specially if you live in Florida.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
My Herman's stay outside all year long but I don't know about small .ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1398654475.085212.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Thank you the baby's in the pict are about 3yrs old

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

AMA904

The Hermmans and Greeks are good beginner tortoises and so are the Russians. However, they should not be housed inside more then outside. Specially if you live in Florida.

Assuming they have the room and proper heat/lighting, what is the downside to them living inside most of the year? When I had Hermann's previously, they only lived inside and were just fine. I don't know if we kept them inside on purpose or just a lack of knowledge, but they didn't seem to have any problems.