Help (crusty face & runny poop)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacob22699

5 Year Member
THis morning and yesterday morning I woke up and my red footed tortoise had some white crust looking stuff on it's face and today I took my turtle outside for about 10 minutes took him back inside put him In his cage and he took poop that looked a little runny and yesterday and the day before I accidentally gave him some baby spinach what's wrong! :(

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
New York
RE: Help

Spinach is fine as part of a varied diet, so don't let that stress you too much. You can read more here: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Spinach-it-is-not-as-bad-as-you-may-think#axzz266wcgh9g.

Is the crust around its nares (nostril holes)? Any bubbles on the nares when it breathes? Do you have a cuttlebone in the enclosure or have you put calcium on its food that could lead to a white crust forming on its face post-feeding?

As for the runny poop, what is your diet consisting of? How often are fruits/veggies in the mix? Grocery store greens/lettuces or wild weeds?

Sorry for the 20 questions, but this will help us get to he bottom of things.

jacob22699

5 Year Member

No cuttlebone grocery greens and vegetables everyday with accompanied fruit no runny nose either it's mostly around the eyes and forehead

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York

jacob22699 said:
No cuttlebone grocery greens and vegetables everyday with accompanied fruit no runny nose either it's mostly around the eyes and forehead

Fruits/veggies daily is probably a bit much and is likely leading to the runny poop. There is nothing wrong with grocery store greens, but if you have a yard that doesn't use pesticides, see what you can turn up out there. Yard greens have much more fiber and also have a good amount of nutrition. Dandelion greens and flowers, plantago species (plantains, not the fruit, it's everywhere!), common mallow, wild violet, clovers, Rose of sharon/hibiscus leaves and flowers, and wild grape are some that come to mind. They'll help for more solid stools. You can explore this site to assist you with plant identification: http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/tortoise_home_1.asp. Also, provide pictures and ask the forum members if you need help on some. There's lots of wild stuff to feed in addition to grocery store greens. I usually save grocery store greens for the winter months when yard weeds are less available.

This site has excellent information regarding feeding: http://tortoiselibrary.com/
Mike Pingleton's book is also an excellent reference to have regarding introductory redfoot care. I probably sound like a broken record to everyone on here, but it's an absolutely fantastic book for begginners! I'm including myself in this "begginer" level.(http://www.pingleton.com/redfoot/redfoots.htm).

As for the crust, are your tortoises eyes running a lot? Do they look sunken? What is your humidity in the enclosure? Is clean water available 24/7 (I and many others use cheap porcelain plant saucers)?How often are you soaking the tortoise?

Forgot to add, what works for me is feeding my redfoots fruit 1/week at a portion no loarger than the size of their heads. The tortoiselibrary.com has an excellent list of good veggies/fruits.

There are others that have greater success with increased fruits in their feeding rotation, but mine got runny bowel movements when they had fruit 2-3 days/week in their feeding cycle.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska

jacob22699 said:
THis morning and yesterday morning I woke up and my red footed tortoise had some white crust looking stuff on it's face and today I took my turtle outside for about 10 minutes took him back inside put him In his cage and he took poop that looked a little runny and yesterday and the day before I accidentally gave him some baby spinach what's wrong! :(

White crust- this really does not help a lot, but could it just be water deposits or dry skin?

Runny poop- don't worry about an occasional runny poop- too much fruit that day can do it and it really does not mean much by itself.

Spinach- don't worry about this either unless it is a big part of the overall diet.

The diagnosis MAY be a slightly nervous keeper.

Status
Not open for further replies.