Poop question from an overly worried mom

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonkaLuv

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
Hello everyone,

A week ago yesterday (Wednesday) my husband gave me a 3-4 month old red footed tortoise for my Birthday. He is so cute and I'm in love with him already!
My question is about his poop.... :D The day we brought him home he pooped twice, then I soaked him two days later and he pooped in the sink. I saw poop in his cage at least once over the weekend, then I soaked him again on Monday. He didn't poop in the sink this time, but when I returned him to his cage I found fresh poop on the moss. Anyway, now it's Thursday and I haven't seen any poop since Monday. I soaked him again this morning but didn't see any poop in the sink or his cage. He is on moss so I'm sure it's possible his poop is "hiding", but I look very thoroughly.

His humidity stays between 65 - 85 % (usually in the mid 70's to 80), and his temp stays between 85 - 92 in his warm area, and in the low 80's in his cool area, and a little cooler in his hide. I also spray him down 1-2 times per day, and he voluntarily goes into his shallow water bowl at least once a day.

Anyway, should I be concerned about not seeing poop? I read somewhere that torts sometimes eat their excrement. Is that true? He is eating his greens, fruit and veggies very well. He almost "runs" to his bowl when I put it down. :p

Any suggestions or assurances would be very very very much appreciated!

Thanks so much!

--Rachael

HarleyK

5 Year Member
Hi, I don't know if this is normal or not, I am experiencing the same thing as a RF owner. He usually poops everyday, but there maybe times where he would poop every 3rd or 4th day.

Angrycowgoesmoo

5 Year Member
Alexandria, VA
I don't think you should worry my tort doesn't poo each day sometime's he will poop one day then he won't poop for another 2 days

TonkaLuv

5 Year Member
Virginia
Thank you for the advice :) I'm going to try not to worry. He is eating good and is obviously quite healthy. On second look I may have found some *ahem* remnants in his moss. Soo....I think he may be eating it! Yummy!

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Not pooping can indicate a problem. It is something to pay attention to, it could indicate so something very minor to something as serious as a blockage. If you cannot find poop your tort could be eating it. If the torts mouth is all of a sudden dark green or black you have a poop eater :D. Also check the hides, mine poops in her hide like it is the bathroom. Good luck.

TonkaLuv

5 Year Member
Virginia
Ok, so now I'm getting worried. His mouth is normal color.
So, if it is a blockage, can a reptile vet do a "tortoise enema"?

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I did not mean to worry you. In the winter my adult Leo poops every 3-4 day's. In the summer she poops every day because she is eating more weeds and grasses. I don't think it is time to worry yet but there are a ton of RF keepers and I am sure they can tell you what their experience is.

TonkaLuv

5 Year Member
Virginia
I'm really starting to think he is definitely eating it! It's apparently super common for red foots to do this. gross. lol. I looked at his tongue really closely tonight during his outside time (when he tried to eat my finger!) and I did see some slight green tint along the edges. Just to be safe, though, I think I will buy him some aloe vera and canned pumpkin tomorrow. Just to put my mind at ease :)

TonkaLuv

5 Year Member
Virginia
Angrycowgoesmoo said:
Well you can also put laxative in his food :3 just kidding :D

Lol. Maybe some dulcalax? :D He ate great this morning.
Every last bite. He stopped for a minute so I thought he was
done. But when I tried to take his dish away he dug his little
toes in and started gobbling it up again! So, I think Tonka is
probably fine. :tort:

DaisyDuke

10 Year Member!
I agree with Erin. I thought my Sheldon wasn't pooping until I looked in the hide:p
lol. Sheldon also won't poop for 3 or 4 days. Sometimes if I bring him out to play after a while he will poop.

TonkaLuv

5 Year Member
Virginia
Thank you so much for all the advice! I checked his hide but didn't find anything. He is, however, getting some green lining on the inside of his mouth. So...I'm pretty confident he is eating it. I did find a tiny bit of dried poo in his cage today, so, I think I missed a piece and he ate it. He is still eating voraciously and is very active. So.....I'm going to do my best not to worry. He is always ready to eat, and when i take him out he really trucks around at a pretty good pace for a tortoise. :p

If his behavior or eating habits change at all I will definitely take him to the vet. Trying to balance the whole vigilance without being neurotic thing. lol. :rolleyes:

--Rachael

TonkaLuv

5 Year Member
Virginia
Hey everyone.
Just wanted to post an update that I found a fresh poo tonight. Yay! :D
So, my worry is at a much healthier level now. :rolleyes:
Thanks again for all the great advice!!!

-Rachael

Status
Not open for further replies.