Help building new enclosure?! Need builders!

IIzDaFury

Hello everyone!

Sorry, i've been away for awhile! :/

I'm looking for some help! I've got two russian tortoises, long story but i got them from a petshop awhile back not knowing they couldn't live together ect.. lesson learned!

They are split up for now but ones in a table and the other in a viv. Now i do want to build or buy a double tortoise table that will last me for a good few years!
But i've no idea where to start! I've tried looking online i couldn't really find any tortoise tables that are beond the starter table size! which is annoying so i'm left with no option but to build one!

If anyone has built a table before for these little guys could you help me out? Things that would help me is letting me know cheap but good wood to use, where you bought it from and i'm having difficulty finding planks big and wide enough for the floor! basically finding the materials or the correct terminology for the materials would be great!

I'm not much of a diy guy but i'm willing to learn and build! Lastly any advice on my new enclosure on whats a good idea to add to my double table would be nice! I've added a picture to show you what i'm looking for!

The table i've linked is
48″ x 24″ x 8″

Would that be good enough for a few years do you think? My torts are rougly 1 year old each!

As always, thank you all so much! :) P.S I'm from the uk!

-Shaun

Attachments

• tortoise-tables-002-uk.jpg
    tortoise-tables-002-uk.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 28

Alexio

Location (City and/or State)
Syracuse, New York
What sizes are your russians? Could you post a picture ? I fear those tables will be too small when I get home tonight I will include a few tables I have build for russians. Your best is to use 4*8 sheets of plywood and line the inside.

The bottom pic is a table I have for one of my Russians it's a 4*6 ft. The top is a closed chamber I use for my leopard but similar build. This retains heat and humidity better than a table but may not be as practical for an adult Russian . Pictures of torts to determine size and gender would be helpful as well.

Yelloweyed

5 Year Member
SoCal California
4 ft by 8 ft by at least 1 ft height*

*add substrate depth plus tort's maximum SCL and maybe 6 inches extra for safety
-if you decide to add different substrate depths, like hills, make sure you add that to the walls' height as well
-if you have a climbing species like Russians than add a lip to the corners and/or sides

IIzDaFury

Hello again!

Firstly thank you all for getting back to me!

I've got a picture of the size of my tort the other isn't much different they are very similar in size. I wont be living at my current location for more than 5 years i'll be in another home so the tort's enclosure will only need to fit them till another 6-7 years! But thank you all for your feedback! I'm just puzzled with finding the correct wood sizes i wasn't sure what to look for but yes i'll be adding hills as mine are climbing! :D

I think i'll be buying the pieces over a two month period because i'll also need to buy drills and saws. Rougly how much did it cost you to build yours? i've got a decent job so i can make this happen.

Again thanks for your time! i've attached the picture!

Attachments

• tort.jpg
    tort.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 19

IIzDaFury

Wow really? thats brilliant! I'll draw some plans up get sizes ect.. and get my self a quote! Thank you Sara!

-Shaun

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
Wow really? thats brilliant! I'll draw some plans up get sizes ect.. and get my self a quote! Thank you Sara!

-Shaun

No problem! Plus sometimes there are bargain bins that you can rummage through for scrap lumber, you might find pieces in there that would work & help you cut the cost of your build.