HELP BROWN URATES!!

Julia B

Location (City and/or State)
Indiana
I was trying to figure out the odd color of my tortoises grates so I kept dandelions out of her diet for a week yet the color is still concerning, is it time to take her to the vet or should I just soak her everyday to hopefully increase her water intake?

Attachments

• 08BA3C79-3020-48ED-817C-D7211A77CEFB.jpeg
    08BA3C79-3020-48ED-817C-D7211A77CEFB.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 19

ZenHerper

New Jersey
I see a few small white crystals along the bottom left, and stool with some mucous.

What species of tortoise do you have? What do you feed it?

Julia B

Indiana
I see a few small white crystals along the bottom left, and stool with some mucous.

What species of tortoise do you have? What do you feed it?
It’s not her stool...that’s the issue. She’s a three year old Russian tortoise and lately she’s been eating Romain lettuce and Mazuri because I’m out of other veggies and haven’t been able to leave the house.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
That's definitely stool.

It looks odd and loopy because she is eating more large, dry grasses (Mazuri) than a Russian should, and getting too soft/sugary a lettuce in the romaine (which is making her intestines produce mucous).

Are you in a city? Or someplace rural? We can help you with identifying wild plants that are better for her, or finding an online source for dried foods.

Dandelion is always a great standby plant...all parts are edible.

This is a popular online supplier of dried leaves and flowers that can be soaked back to life at home (skip the alfalfa and oat straw):

Julia B

Indiana
That's definitely stool.

It looks odd and loopy because she is eating more large, dry grasses (Mazuri) than a Russian should, and getting too soft/sugary a lettuce in the romaine (which is making her intestines produce mucous).

Are you in a city? Or someplace rural? We can help you with identifying wild plants that are better for her, or finding an online source for dried foods.

Dandelion is always a great standby plant...all parts are edible.

This is a popular online supplier of dried leaves and flowers that can be soaked back to life at home (skip the alfalfa and oat straw):

She pooped right after I took this picture and it was a nice nugget. But I’ll be sure to get out and get more safe greens

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Yeah. It's the same as when we eat too much junk food, or try new foods we don't usually eat on a daily basis. lol Our intestines can get stressed, develop overgrowth of bacteria our immune cells usually manage easily, and don't do a very reliable job for a few days.

Once she's back on her broadleaf regimen, this loopy stuff should be of the past.

Let us know how it goes and if you need support!