HELP basking spot too hot

Tort1419

I am using a MVB 100 watt powersun. It is going to be mounted 12 in away from the tortoise( haven't got tortoise yet hope to get it tommorow). However I have a basking slate rock thing that I use to spread the heat out for safe belly heat. Unfortunately it seems that it is hotter with the rock. It's like 106 degrees. What do I do. I can't raise it up higher because the uv output would be useless

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
I am using a MVB 100 watt powersun. It is going to be mounted 12 in away from the tortoise( haven't got tortoise yet hope to get it tommorow). However I have a basking slate rock thing that I use to spread the heat out for safe belly heat. Unfortunately it seems that it is hotter with the rock. It's like 106 degrees. What do I do. I can't raise it up higher because the uv output would be useless

What species of tort? 106 is actually not bad at all for a basking spot..

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Is your enclosure an open top, partially covered or fully enclosed?

What device are you using to measure the temp?

106 wouldn't bother me unless it was in a fully enclosed environment.
Make sure you have accurate readings. Probes with digital readouts, AcuRite boxes and temp guns have all been reliable sources for me. The analog disc ones, not so much.

Tort1419

It's an open topped enclosure. Also I'm going to have a Russian tortoise. Btw I didn't know 106 was bad. Please tell me what would the max temp be. Because if I could lower it a little bit that would be nice. More uv. Also I'm using a temp gun

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
It's important to say what type of tortoise.
For example a Redfoot wouldn't need to bask and anything over 90 would be uncomfortable.
I see it.....NEVERMIND.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't know where you got the idea that your bulb becomes useless above 12", but that is not accurate at all. MVBs generate a lot of UV and your tortoise will get plenty if the bulbs is 2" higher.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Remove the rock. Not everyone uses one. If that's not enough, raise the light.
Agreed. Whenever I put slate or a rock under the lamp my tortoise will do everything that lay on it. Once I move it she moves right over to the middle. So no more slate for her under the basking light. When you're tortoise is basking underwrit measure the temperature on the top of your tortoise.