Basking Bulb Question

drew54

Location (City and/or State)
Indiana
I have a 65w flood light and i use a basking rock. the bulb sets 11'' from the substrate and rock, but barely reaches and stays 90. I have a dimmer switch on it and it is all the way up. So, I temporarily put in a regular incandescent bullb that is 50 - 150. At 150w it maintains temp around 96 at 11''. I feel that the regular bulb just acts a spot bulb and doesnt really spread the heat out much. Any suggestions or is this bulb okay? my concern is that I have read in previous posts that MVB and spot bulbs are harsh on the carapace and cause pyramiding.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
You need a higher wattage basking spot - try 100W - a household reflector bulb will do the job. A standard incandescent bulb is not suitable for basking.

If you are struggling with the ambient temperature too then you will need a cover on the enclosure

drew54

Indiana
Ambient temp stays between 80 and 88. I have the enclosure covered and sealed as best as i can. Just did that today so i can try to keep humidity up. It's been rough. Anyway, i am using a CHE on a thermostat which has been amazing in keeping the ambient temp right. I will see if i can find one at today. Thank you and hopefully i can get the humidity and the basking issue resolved today.

drew54

Indiana
Will a br40 fit in a 8.5'' clamp lamp or do i have to use br30 size?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You need to either lower the basking lamp or use a higher wattage bulb.

What type of bulb was the 50-150? Was it the round type? Those are okay to use if they work for your application. Sounds like it made the perfect temperature.

drew54

Indiana
You need to either lower the basking lamp or use a higher wattage bulb.

What type of bulb was the 50-150? Was it the round type? Those are okay to use if they work for your application. Sounds like it made the perfect temperature.

Yeah, it's the round type. It's usually 96 at the hottest part. I guess I figured it to be like a spot bulb and not good for hatchlings. I'm glad I can use that I'll try to find a good flood bulb in the mean time.

So, I was able to cover and seal my enclosure today as best as I could. Is holding 75 rh an hour after I dampened the substrate and then sprayed the walls. I have gaps and the lights, but everywhere else is sealed good. Any suggesting on how I can bring the humidity up and keep it proper?IMG_0685.jpg before
IMG_0700.jpg after