Help!! Baby Sulcata

DBacon15

my baby Sulcata won't eat anything but dandilions and grass. Should I be worried?

Korall

Location (City and/or State)
Sweden
This is quite common among tortoises, they generally don't like changes in their diet.

It is important for tortoises to have a varied diet.

To fix it can be a bit tricky sometimes though there are multiple ways to do it, such as mixing food they already like with the new food.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
my baby Sulcata won't eat anything but dandilions and grass.
Me personally would hold off on the grass right now. The babies of most tortoise species prefer, and generally eat in the wild world of tortoises, the broadleaf family leaves and flowers of weeds.
I've noticed when given the choice of supervised outdoor grazing time, hatchlings up to about 1 year or so fixate on finding weeds to eat then they, as if by magic, start eating grass while they graze.
You say he loves dandelion flowers, how does he feel about dandelion leaves? What about other broadleaf weeds?
You have it in a humid enclosure right? Your 4 temps are all proper per the stickies at the beginning of the specie specific sulcata section, correct? Keep us updated here too.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Dandelions and grass aren't bad - I wouldn't ween them off good foods like that. Weeds and grasses are what you are aiming for, after all. Just mix in a few more weeds for variety - chop them up finely at first and mix them in with wet grass and dandelions (so they all stick together).