HELP ASAP!!!! (dog chewed turtle)

Killerrookie

My Pitbull just found a turtle and he is all torn up and idk what to do!!!! He is still alive and breathing. I never had a turtle before and don't know how to take care of it so help me please. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1428954523.047830.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1428954531.698989.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1428954546.626579.jpg

Killerrookie

Really @ZEROPILOT? Why do you think so? You don't think it'll make it if it's taken to a vet? I Don't know if it would make it. It may have to be put to sleep...The punctures look deep.
2 of the holes look pretty deep the others are pretty much a little punctures

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I'm no expert. A lot of our members are extremely used to this type of emergency.
My vet isn't very swift and he's the only one within 50 miles that does torts and turtles. I just added what I would do in this situation.
It looks grim and I would stop the suffering quickly.
I'm quite sure that he has been both punctured and partially crushed.
I can't guess if he would live or not, etc.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yellow eared slider?
I'd humanely kill it.

No way! Turtles have recuperated from much worse than this. All he needs is someone who knows how to care for water turtles and some antibiotics. He'll be fine.

Contact the Gulf Coast Turtle and Tortoise Society and see if they'll take him:

http://www.gctts.org/node/9

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
No way! Turtles have recuperated from much worse than this. All he needs is someone who knows how to care for water turtles and some antibiotics. He'll be fine.

Contact the Gulf Coast Turtle and Tortoise Society and see if they'll take him:

http://www.gctts.org/node/9
Wow. To me it looks hopeless. Tough little guys.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Could go either way. Further (veterinary) assessment to determine the severity of the internal injuries would let you know whether or not the turtle can make it with intervention. The only humane thing to do is to get vet attention. The little is turtle that you care enough to look into this and not just let nature take its course.

And it's not a Yellow-Bellied Slider, not with that plastron.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
This box turtle looks like a Gulf Coast turtle. Contact the society Yvonne gave you the site to. They can give you information on how to care for his wounds. The antibiotics you'll need can be prescribed by your vet, and you may be able to administer it to the turtle especially since the closest vet is so far away. Please keep us informed. Btw, what state do you live in?

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Dk, haven't hear from Killerookie about his status. Sure hope he was taken to the Vet.

Killerrookie

Sorry I've been away and haven't updated how he is. I did take him to the vet and lucky no organs were puncture. I didn't have the money to go out and buy the little guy all the necessary equipment to keep him so I let a friend of mine that own a couple rejected and injured turtles that he takes care of in Needville. We were given a couple antibiotics that are suppose to be given every other day and the vet cleaned the wounds and covered them up. I live in Richmond, Texas just a couple minutes out of Houston. Next week I'll actually be visiting him to check on the guy and see his collection of box turtles.

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sorry I've been away and haven't updated how he is. I did take him to the vet and lucky no organs were puncture. I didn't have the money to go out and buy the little guy all the necessary equipment to keep him so I let a friend of mine that own a couple rejected and injured turtles that he takes care of in Needville. We were given a couple antibiotics that are suppose to be given every other day and the vet cleaned the wounds and covered them up. I live in Richmond, Texas just a couple minutes out of Houston. Next week I'll actually be visiting him to check on the guy and see his collection of box turtles.
It's a slider of some kind. Certainly not a box turtle. Sorry for the little guy.
Euthanize the pitbull.

Killerrookie

It's a slider of some kind. Certainly not a box turtle. Sorry for the little guy.
Euthanize the pitbull.
Excuse me??? Did you just tell me to euthanize my pitbull? I recommend keeping your mouth shut before I get pissed off.

kirsty Johnston

5 Year Member
Scotland
I'm glad it looks like he is going to be ok. It's a dogs nature to go after tortoises. I have a jack Russell and he would easily tear my tortoise apart if it wasn't for the fact I don't let them near each other under any circumstance. So it's not the dogs fault