I need help type of turtle

skrapoy

Location (City and/or State)
New Orleans
Me and my gf found this turtle outside our door and we’re going to take care of it but don’t know what kind it is and or all the necessities please help!!!!IMG_0153.jpgIMG_0155.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Looks like an older, melanistic red ear slider (Trachemys scripta elegans). It's a male turtle. Male red ear sliders sometimes lose all their color as the age (melanistic). They do best when set up in a pond situation. Large turtles like this one are hard to keep in an aquarium because the water gets dirty too quickly. In case you didn't know, water turtles can't swallow food unless they're under water.

skrapoy

New Orleans
Looks like an older, melanistic red ear slider (Trachemys scripta elegans). It's a male turtle. Male red ear sliders sometimes lose all their color as the age (melanistic). They do best when set up in a pond situation. Large turtles like this one are hard to keep in an aquarium because the water gets dirty too quickly. In case you didn't know, water turtles can't swallow food unless they're under water.

Any ideas on how is should take care of it if you don’t mind sparing the time to tell me if you know?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Get a large horse trough. Place a cinder block or other large object in the center to act as an island for the turtle to be able to climb up on to get out of the water. Put it in an area that will get sun part of the day, but shade too so the water doesn't get to hot. They eat some veggies or water plants, and insects and animal protein (bits of chicken, etc.).

2015 Rescues #14 15, 16, 17,18.jpg

I just dump out the water weekly and add clean, but you can buy a filter and set it up more or less permanently.

This one is a 300 gallon trough lined with pond liner because I didn't trust the galvanized material to not leach out toxic stuff:

snapper pond d.jpg

That's a "Skippy Filter." You can look it up on the 'net. Very easy to build.

skrapoy

New Orleans
Get a large horse trough. Place a cinder block or other large object in the center to act as an island for the turtle to be able to climb up on to get out of the water. Put it in an area that will get sun part of the day, but shade too so the water doesn't get to hot. They eat some veggies or water plants, and insects and animal protein (bits of chicken, etc.).

View attachment 248936

I just dump out the water weekly and add clean, but you can buy a filter and set it up more or less permanently.

This one is a 300 gallon trough lined with pond liner because I didn't trust the galvanized material to not leach out toxic stuff:

View attachment 248937

That's a "Skippy Filter." You can look it up on the 'net. Very easy to build.

Thank you so much man you’ve been a great help!