Help again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

llllshaunllll

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I have had alot of help on getting food for my tort, But the thing is i can't find any of it!!!!!, only dandelion/bind weed leaves BUT there going now because of winter, so i have no idea what to do about food. I live in a big town, so its hard to find wild plants.

Please help!!! Please reply!!!!

Thanks Shaun. ;)

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Redlands, CA
try mulberry leaves
i have a giant tree outside...its neverending tortoise food.
another option is to buy a lot when you do find stuff. i think most things are freezable. they may not taste pleasant to us, but i think frozen vegetation still retains all the nutrients.

llllshaunllll

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Can you freeze food??? i have been going out every day getting food.

Whats mulberry?

Thanks Shaun. ;)

llllshaunllll

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Can you grow the dandelion in a seeding tray thing?

Thanks for all your help so far!!! ;)

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
I was also wondering if the "pet grass" they sell at Petco is okay for torts...it is "organic wheat grass" I believe, and they also sell catnip (I know that is not on the tort list.)

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Grass hay from a feed store. You can get a bale for about $12 or so. Or get the pre bagged rabbit timothy hay. $$$$ compared to a bale, but if storage or quality is hard to come by...
Some torts may not eat it well...depending on what they are used to and type of tort.

llllshaunllll

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
That don't seem to healthy for a tort?? would it be ok to feed just the same foods day in day out? or have a mix up threw the week?

thanks. ;););)

llllshaunllll

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
What tree leaves can you feed? also is there any bushes?

Thanks alot. ;)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
llllshaunllll said:

Yes you can. Dandies do quite well as an indoor plant.:D Most any of the tort seed mixtures will grow inside...along with lots of the blooming flowers on the lists. You will have to either have great window areas for plants or use plant lights for them. Also with as dry as houses are in the winter, watering is also a more frequent thing to watch for...just don't over water.

Unfortunately I can't keep plants in the house. Either the room is unheated or the cats and dogs get near the plants. Have a tropical hibiscus that I love the color of and have no idea how I will get it thru the winter. Am thinking building a cage for it...lol.

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
The grass I saw was "fresh" like a potted plant you keep alive and pull a bit off of now and then. I did not think torts could eat the dry timothy hay...or maybe that's just a greek tort thing?

A lot of helpful info here...thanks everyone!

llllshaunllll

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
;););)Thanks for all your help ;););), but can you just tell me this last thing please, what types of bushes/trees can my greek eat??
I have the other leaves listed that josh gave me. :)

Thanks. ;)

reptileeats

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Alabama
llllshaunllll said:

I start a 512 seeding tray each week for one tort I would start at least a 36 seeding tray every other month. If I can help any with trays or seeds please let me know.

Variety is the key for a healthy tort!

I would dehydrate my tort food before I froze it.

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
Where do you like to get your seeds (and trays) from?
(we are in MN)

wayne.bob

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
iowa
i bought some seeds from a place on the internet and they grew brilliantly. and are still growing.
sorry i cant remember the name of the site. the bag of RT seed only cost $3

llllshaunllll

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
As you can tell this is my first tort, i just feel im not doing very well with him, so im getting all the help i can take. :), Can you give me some info on growing seeds??? you said "36 tray" you use 36 trays for one tort?????

Thanks Shaun. ;)

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
reptileeats said:
I start a 512 seeding tray each week for one tort I would start at least a 36 seeding tray every other month. If I can help any with trays or seeds please let me know.

Variety is the key for a healthy tort!

I would dehydrate my tort food before I froze it.

OK guys this is Reptileats owner of http://www.reptileeats.com
I am sure if you message "reptileeats" they would be more than happy to help-they are in the tort food business :p

Shaun I think it is always best to mix food and give your tort a variety. You can always order from reptileeats then you are sure to get a good mixture.
Remember when seeding follow the directions or just take a pot or two and throw some seeds in and water. Remember no chemicals. If you are feeding small seedling plants you will have to have quite a bit growing to keep him in food. And yes they will eat dried greens. Just remember to have water handy for them. Shaun don't be shy about asking questions we all have tons of them and you may be asking something some else is too shy to ask.

Cam, I give my Greeks timothy hay or orchard hay dry, No they don't like to eat it that way but I do grind it (in my coffee grinder-used only for tort food, cause I quit drinking coffee :rolleyes:) and dust it on their food for fiber reasons especially in the winter months when they are inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.