Help, A tortoise wandered into my yard and I can not identify him/her

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rachel27

5 Year Member
P1020254.JPGP1020252.JPGP1020251.JPGP1020249.JPGHelp please, This cutie wandered into our back yard and was hiding under our pop up pool! I can not identify the species, other than I believe it is a tortoise. Any help is much appreciated. Sure is an active critter...
I am not certain the photos show it well, but there are yellow spots on the front legs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
box turtle. Not a Pond turtle, but they do need some water. Much like a tortoise. Check with your immediate neighbors...
Where do you live?

Rachel27

5 Year Member
shelber10 said:
i think its a 3 toed box turtle

Thank you, I have been looking at photos and they do look alike..

Laura said:
box turtle. Not a Pond turtle, but they do need some water. Much like a tortoise. Check with your immediate neighbors...
Where do you live?
Escalon, CA.
I already checked with immediate neighbors, no luck.

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Welcome Rachel27!

I'm in rural Stanislaus County so we're neighbors!! Never yet had a tortoise wander into our yard, but some of our friends have. Are you planning to keep this box turtle if you can't find the owner?

Madortoise

5 Year Member
Very cute turtle. Hope he finds his way back home or find a nice new home.

Rachel27

5 Year Member
Pepper said:
Yep a three toed box turtle. Looks like someone lost their pet or let it go... You can post an ad on your local craigslist and put up flyers but don't identify it and see if you get any calls. Meanwhile heres a few good sites for caresheets
aboxturtle.com
www.boxturtlesite.info
http://www.turtlepuddle.org/american/boxcare.html

Thank you. I need all the help I can get to take care of this little guy.:)

katesgoey said:
Welcome Rachel27!

I'm in rural Stanislaus County so we're neighbors!! Never yet had a tortoise wander into our yard, but some of our friends have. Are you planning to keep this box turtle if you can't find the owner?

;)Hey Neighbor. I have not decided yet what I am going to do with it. I am hoping to see something posted by the owners. Believe it or not this is the second turtle that has wandered into my yard. We had one show up in Sonoma county when I was a kid:)

shelber10 said:
i think its a 3 toed box turtle

Thank you.

Madortoise said:
Very cute turtle. Hope he finds his way back home or find a nice new home.

Thank you. We will make sure he is taken care of. I am a soft touch for critters :D

Status
Not open for further replies.