Identify tortoise and help with diet

tnkinner

Hi everyone! This cutie wondering into our yard a couple days ago and we are trying to identify what type of tortoise she/he is and to get a good idea on what her diet should be. We looked for owners but no one has come forward and we are happy to provide her a place to call home.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1472608462.284465.jpg

Also, she loves this weed in my yard. Is it safe?ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1472608492.206305.jpg

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Calif.
Where are you located can be a desert or gopher tortoise which can be native to your area. It would be illegal to take it out of the wild.

Kyle

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Looks kind of like a red foot tortoise to me... but without the red! You'll want another person to confirm other than just me, though, because I'm not positive. He's adorable!!!! Give us a pic of the tail and we'll tell you if it's male or female or if it's too young to tell. ;)

GingerLove

5 Year Member
The weed looks good, by the way. Do you have poison ivy in your yard, though? And keep an eye on the droppings to tell if it's upsetting his stomach. :)

tnkinner

Def didn't take him out of the wild. I live in middle of town (Az) and he came into our garage and into backyard. I read online that you shouldn't take them and dump them into wild if you're unsure if it was a pet/had human contact bc of a respiratory disease it can give to other wild tortoises. In the process of trying to officially adopt from Az game and fish. Just want to make sure he/she gets proper nutrition. Thanks!!

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Can you post a few more pictures?

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Looks like a desert tortoise to me, the pictures show up small on my phone though.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
View attachment 185315View attachment 185316

I can try and take better ones tomorrow. I don't have any great shots of her head :-/
A very warm welcome to the forum!
A cute tort, though I cannot tell you what species it is, sorry.

Please give him/her daily soaks in warm water, and make sure that there's enough warmth and humidity. :)

Also read the "Beginners Mistakes" Thread, and keep asking questions when in need of help.:D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

The tortoise is a desert tortoise. They are a protected species.

You say you're in the process of trying to adopt? I'm not sure about Arizona's laws regarding the desert tortoise, but before you even think about keeping this tortoise, you need to try to find his owner. Someone may have left his gate open accidentally, or he may have dug out under the fence. At any rate, put up found tortoise fliers on the utility poles in your neighborhood. Place a found ad on craigslist, etc. But be wary of respondents as they come out of the woodwork trying to get something for nothing.

The spurge plant you show in your picture is part of their native diet.