Help! 3-4 mo old attacked by cat!

leobaby15

I've had our new leopard hatchling for about 24 hours and all was going well. While I ran an errand my cat got his lid off and pulled him from his table. I found him on the floor, thankfully alive but his has some shell damage and some bleeding but not much. I put antibiotic cream on the cuts and placed him black under his heat light. This is so upsetting and I hope he'll be ok. I've moved him to a bedroom where the cat can't reach him again. What should I do about his health? Does he need the vet? Please help. Thanks

teresaf

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Port Charlotte, Florida
Wow hard to believe a CAT did that. I think I've seen worse, though, not on one so young. There's always the stress to consider. I think you're doing right so far. Come morning someone, @Yvonne G maybe, will chime in.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Keep it clean, put the ointment on and set up a "hospital tank" with paper towels for substrate so it can stay clean.

leobaby15

Ok. He seems to be doing ok but kinda tired compared to yesterday before the attack. I still can't believe our cat did this.

Killerrookie

Most people don't think cats attack tortoises but yes they do!!! They do sometimes just like a dog. Keep us updated on your tortoise and I wish you and the tort the best of luck.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Cats will go for anything, my sister's cat brings home quite large baby bunnies - doesn't want to eat them because he is so well fed- just torments them. I often think when I see pics of torts with cats that it is dangerous because cats are so quick with their claws they could easily scratch eyes. I wouldn't trust them at all. (I don't like cats - can you tell?) but I do hope your little tort is OK.

Last edited:

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Torts are remarkably resilient and the wounds seem fairly superficial to me.
The biggest problem now is stress, keep him warm and dark for a while and just make sure everything is clinically clean around him to avoid infection as per Tortdad.
He should recover in his own time, though i'm not a vet.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've heard it said that tortoises and birds might have been related at one time. If this is the case, then you need to wash out those wounds very well, as cat saliva is toxic to birds. Cat saliva carries gram negative bacteria, while birds don't have this.

So, flush the wounds thoroughly with peroxide. Let it foam up and clean out all the germs and debris. Allow it to dry, then apply the Neosporin.

Your little baby is going to be pretty scared for a week or more. It will take some time for him to get over the trauma. And count yourself lucky. It;s only been about a month since someone posted that their cat was playing with their baby tortoise/turtle and the baby lost an eyeball.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
keep checking the wounds to make sure they don't get infected.
So happy he's recovering.
Should be fine now.
Resilient animals

leobaby15

Humidity is about 65....having a hard time with it. Can I just soak the substrate?

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Yep. Wet enough for underlayer to be highly moist but not soupy. Dry enough for top layer to dry out.