Helo all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishbone

5 Year Member
I just signed up here after lurking around for awhile. I have kept various reptiles for over 25 years, mostly pythons and boas, as well as various lizards, but never a chelonian species.

Our oldest daughter has been wanting an animal of her own for years, after seeing various things at shows, online, and everywhere else. Out of the short list of critters that she has wanted without fading away from interest. we decided to get her a leopard tortoise for her 14th birthday, with a large reason being that I have always wanted a tortoise, so if the situation works out with her not caring for him properly or just "getting over it", I made sure it was an animal I would actually want to keep.

So, I suppose he isn't mine, but none the less, I am taking charge of the care until we are sure she is set to do most of it on her own. Without further ado, here are a few pictures of the cute little guy, these were right before lights out the day we got him, he was all tuckered out...

128543_296081_VeryLarge_DbLertDNyMbm.jpg

128543_296080_VeryLarge_Y6DPV2QPcrjM5o.jpg

So far he is doing well, daily soakings, fresh greens, I got some small packages of the Zoo-Med grassland diet and Mazuri.

Thanks for all the info already here!

Dave Pierson

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Cute tortoise! Have any pics of its enclosure? Are the eyes normally open, and just closed in the pic?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) A few tips. One be sure to read Toms thread at the bottom of my post. All of them, even the one on sulcata will be helpful. Two, be sure you don't use a coil bulb of any type, they cause eye problems. If you can get him outside for 30-60 minutes a day, you don't need a UVB bulb inside. Just be sure he has shade and he uses it. Any questions, there are many members more then willing to help.

BTW, I like your idea of if the child don't want it, it's mine. I have used that for all my reptiles:D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Dave, and welcome to the Forum!

Fishbone

5 Year Member
wellington said:
Hello and Welcome:) A few tips. One be sure to read Toms thread at the bottom of my post. All of them, even the one on sulcata will be helpful. Two, be sure you don't use a coil bulb of any type, they cause eye problems. If you can get him outside for 30-60 minutes a day, you don't need a UVB bulb inside. Just be sure he has shade and he uses it. Any questions, there are many members more then willing to help.

BTW, I like your idea of if the child don't want it, it's mine. I have used that for all my reptiles:D

Thanks for the welcome and tips! I have kept and rescued abused beardies, I'm safe on the UVB front, I have been vocally anti CFL bulbs for a long time. And I am currently immersed in toms pyramiding thread with regards to humidity. I've actually been stalking Tom long enough that I feel I should invite him over for dinner. I have tons of questions, still working them out a little through practice. You will be annoyed with me eventually, lol. I get to be the noob and ask the dumb questions on a forum again, I kinda like it ;)

theelectraco said:
Cute tortoise! Have any pics of its enclosure? Are the eyes normally open, and just closed in the pic?

No pics yet. For a temporary enclosure, I am using a rabbit hutch about 25"x16", with a 5" deep tub for the base then a wire rack type top. This is basically for "cat proofing" the tub. We have three, and I just want to have a barrier. His eyes are usually open and clear, that pic was late the night we got him home, and he was already going to sleep.

Fishbone

5 Year Member
wellington said:

And your not supposed to give away those types of secrets! It's not like I'm already planning how to build an outdoor enclosure so she can come home to see him when she's in college or anything ;)

shanu303

5 Year Member
India
Hello and Welcome to TFO !! :) your leopard is really cute :)

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Hi and welcome. Another "must read" thread that Tom wrote is just below my name. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.