hello

Status
Not open for further replies.

vmg

5 Year Member
hello everyone im "v" from Houston I found this site looking for answers about a turtle I found in my yard. maybe one of you all can help me out.

Attachments

• 20130415_104532.jpg
    20130415_104532.jpg
    381.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 20130415_104529.jpg
    20130415_104529.jpg
    386.3 KB · Views: 25

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) if its native to your area you should let it be, unless it were sick and needed help.

vmg

5 Year Member
tortadise said:
Welcome! Looks like a gulf coast box turtle.

hello and thanks for replying. if it is in fact the gulf Coast box turtle can it be a pet should I keep it or let it go?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi V, and welcome to the Forum!

I think it's a very colorful 3-toe box turtle (Terrapene carolina triunguis). Count the toes on the back feet. If there are 4 on each back foot then Tortadise (Kelly) is correct, but if there are only 3 then I have identified the turtle correctly.

If either of these species of turtle are native to where you live, there are more than likely laws governing the taking them from the wild. You will need to contact the governing agency to find out. Fish and wildlife department or some such.

vmg

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi V, and welcome to the Forum!

I think it's a very colorful 3-toe box turtle (Terrapene carolina triunguis). Count the toes on the back feet. If there are 4 on each back foot then Tortadise (Kelly) is correct, but if there are only 3 then I have identified the turtle correctly.

If either of these species of turtle are native to where you live, there are more than likely laws governing the taking them from the wild. You will need to contact the governing agency to find out. Fish and wildlife department or some such.

THANKS FOR BEING SO HELPFUL

Status
Not open for further replies.