Hello

Status
Not open for further replies.

firsttwilight

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SA, TX
Hi I am firsttwilight and I am new to this forum stuff all together, so please be nice . . . I have 4 box turtles and 1 sulcata. I did have a 130 gallon pond in my back yard with 3 maps, but unfortunately a raccoon in my area saw to ending my poor little turtles lives too soon. . . I was heart broken when I buried them in my yard. I love turtles of all kinds, I have them all over my room and bathroom and can't get enough of them. :tort:

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Welcome to the forum, I hope you enjoy your visits here.
Kind, I am unfamiliar with this concept.
have lost a couple of RES's to raccoon.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) this is a very nice and friendly forum, most of the time :D So don't worry. If you have any questions, about torts, turts, or how to use this forum don't be afraid to ask. Someone will be able to help you.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hello, firsttwilight, and Welcome to the Forum!!

I hope we will all be patient with you and not give you any reason to feel that we aren't "nice." Most of us were new at one time. :D

firsttwilight

5 Year Member
SA, TX
Boy am I a newbie. . . it took me forever to figure out how to get back on here, then it took me even longer to figure out so many of you welcomed me to the forum. . . Thank you!!

firsttwilight

5 Year Member
SA, TX
By the way the whole house hold consists of 2 kids, 1 cat, 2 dogs, 1 bearded dragon, 1 rat, 1 fish tank, 4 box turtles, and 1 sulcata. The Sulcata is the newest member of our family and I am still trying to figure out how to or if to hibernate him. He was rescued from a friend that got into legal trouble and I promised to take care of him until the time came for the owner to return. Could be quite a while though, at this time he is in our pool, not in the water, the liner tore on the pool and the frame is free standing. We (the kids and I) put a baby pool in there for him with water and we have a huge kennel from the dogs and some hay and grass growing, but it is mostly sand. I really think I should put some kind of "dirt" for him out there, but not quite sure what kind. I am hoping someone can help with something I can buy at Lowe's or a local nursery. The kids built a shelter for him with some brick and boards and have it covered with hay too. Still trying to figure out the pic posting too, so I apologize for not posting any. Any info offered will be greatly appreciated. . . Thanks!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, first of all, get that notion of "hibernation" right out of your mind. If you truly do have a sulcata, then they don't hibernate. You're going to have to set him up in the house for the winter and keep him warm.

Be very careful of the dogs. Dogs feel about tortoises the same way they feel about those rawhide chewies.

Regular dirt from the back yard would be ok to put in his outdoor habitat. But be thinking about building him a regular pen in the backyard, with a fence, hiding place etc. He will be needing lots of roaming room. How big is he?

Status
Not open for further replies.